May 24, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Red Sox are going to be short-handed as they attempt to snap their eight-game losing streak. In addition to Shane Victorino landing on the disabled list, both David Ortiz and Mike Napoli are out of the lineup against the Rays this afternoon.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Ortiz is taking a planned day off due to a calf issue. As for Napoli, he could be sidelined for a little while longer. He’s dealing with a dislocated finger, as well as calf and hamstring issues and flu-like symptoms. It’s unlikely he’ll play again before Tuesday. Bad news for a team which is tied for 20th in the majors in runs scored.
The Red Sox are going with Jonny Gomes in right field, Mike Carp at first base, and A.J. Pierzynski out of the DH spot this afternoon against David Price. Meanwhile, David Ross is catching Jake Peavy. They are off to an early 5-0 lead with their makeshift lineup.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)