May 24, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Red Sox are going to be short-handed as they attempt to snap their eight-game losing streak. In addition to Shane Victorino landing on the disabled list, both David Ortiz and Mike Napoli are out of the lineup against the Rays this afternoon.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Ortiz is taking a planned day off due to a calf issue. As for Napoli, he could be sidelined for a little while longer. He’s dealing with a dislocated finger, as well as calf and hamstring issues and flu-like symptoms. It’s unlikely he’ll play again before Tuesday. Bad news for a team which is tied for 20th in the majors in runs scored.
The Red Sox are going with Jonny Gomes in right field, Mike Carp at first base, and A.J. Pierzynski out of the DH spot this afternoon against David Price. Meanwhile, David Ross is catching Jake Peavy. They are off to an early 5-0 lead with their makeshift lineup.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)