May 24, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Red Sox are going to be short-handed as they attempt to snap their eight-game losing streak. In addition to Shane Victorino landing on the disabled list, both David Ortiz and Mike Napoli are out of the lineup against the Rays this afternoon.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Ortiz is taking a planned day off due to a calf issue. As for Napoli, he could be sidelined for a little while longer. He’s dealing with a dislocated finger, as well as calf and hamstring issues and flu-like symptoms. It’s unlikely he’ll play again before Tuesday. Bad news for a team which is tied for 20th in the majors in runs scored.
The Red Sox are going with Jonny Gomes in right field, Mike Carp at first base, and A.J. Pierzynski out of the DH spot this afternoon against David Price. Meanwhile, David Ross is catching Jake Peavy. They are off to an early 5-0 lead with their makeshift lineup.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)