May 24, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
The Red Sox are going to be short-handed as they attempt to snap their eight-game losing streak. In addition to Shane Victorino landing on the disabled list, both David Ortiz and Mike Napoli are out of the lineup against the Rays this afternoon.
According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, Ortiz is taking a planned day off due to a calf issue. As for Napoli, he could be sidelined for a little while longer. He’s dealing with a dislocated finger, as well as calf and hamstring issues and flu-like symptoms. It’s unlikely he’ll play again before Tuesday. Bad news for a team which is tied for 20th in the majors in runs scored.
The Red Sox are going with Jonny Gomes in right field, Mike Carp at first base, and A.J. Pierzynski out of the DH spot this afternoon against David Price. Meanwhile, David Ross is catching Jake Peavy. They are off to an early 5-0 lead with their makeshift lineup.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 2
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 24
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)