May 24, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Cain threw a bullpen Saturday afternoon and it was cut short after fewer than 20 pitches, per CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly. Cain has been day-to-day since leaving Wednesday’s start against the Rockies in the third inning with a mildly strained right hamstring.
While the Giants hope Cain will be ready by Monday, they may have Tim Hudson start again after only throwing 64 pitches against the Rockies on Thursday. Otherwise, the Giants could call on Yusmeiro Petit to make a spot start.
The 29-year-old Cain has a 3.66 ERA and a 39/17 K/BB ratio in 46 2/3 innings over eight starts on the season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)