Mets reliever Carlos Torres had some weird things to say about Yasiel Puig

May 24, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT

Mets reliever Carlos Torres joined Casey Stern of Inside Pitch on MLB Network Radio today and he had some weird things to say about Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig.

You can listen to part of the interview below, but Stern tweeted out some of the highlights of the conversation:

I believe that Torres is referring to this game-saving catch from Heyward, which was actually from last season. And it was a tremendous play. Still, Torres obviously disagrees with his own manager, Terry Collins, who said that Puig’s play on Thursday night was the second-best catch he had ever seen. Either way, it’s a weird thing to criticize. Both were great.

Where Torres really loses me is this idea that the media is making him out to be better than he is. Last I checked, Puig is batting .343/.438/.614 in 43 games this season. Sure, he’ll always be a lightening rod for attention, both positively and negatively, but he doesn’t need the media’s help to let people know that he’s damn good at baseball.

1. serbingood - May 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I don’t follow the Mets. How is this Carlos Torres and should I give any credence to anything he says?

At least I have heard of this Puig fella.

• captainwisdom88 - May 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM

jealousy is an ugly color

2. kingscourt25 - May 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Carlos Torres post on HBT?

3. mikhelb - May 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I find it odd when people from time to time say things like “best ever”.

A few days ago I read a column where it was written that Puig’s catch could be one of the best EVER in baseball, as if the author had seen each and every catch in the history of baseball worlwide.

Like I said: odd.

• jwbiii - May 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM

It was an outstanding catch. Giancarlo Stanton made one more or less as outstanding the day before. A few days before that, Juan Lagares made an outstanding catch. The day before that it was Jayson Werth. These guys are really good at baseball and often make “Wow, I couldn’t do that on my best day” plays.

• stercuilus65 - May 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Collins said it was the second best catch HE had ever seen. It seems he would be the only expery on what HE had ever seen.

4. seanwasamarine - May 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Puig is a disgrace to baseball

• thetoolsofignorance - May 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I think Pete Rose has that title already

• ptfu - May 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

But I thought A-Rod was History’s Greatest Monster.

• kkkershaw22 - May 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Your a disgrace to marines

• 9foldmuse - May 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Perhaps as much a “disgrace” as Cap Anson, Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth, each of whom behaved despicably on and/or off the field. Ted Williams positively skipped with joy round the bases following a homer in those old newsreels. I’m not comparing his accomplishments with the above players, but he surely has unusual baseball abilities which can be appreciated regardless of the likelyhood he’s a jerk and a narcissist [in the clinical sense].

• killerbronco - May 28, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Why i

5. kkkershaw22 - May 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Carlos Torres the guy who’s 12-14 with 4.60 career who cares what he thinks he should be grateful he didn’t have to face puig in that series if not he would have been seeing bat flips after facing him no doubt

• baberuthslegs - May 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Punctuation marks are your friends.

• kkkershaw22 - May 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

you got beat up a lot in high school didn’t you?

6. ripwarrior - May 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Puig’s catch was one of the greatest I ever seen. If he hadn’t curled his wrist up he could have snapped his arm in half.

• apkyletexas - May 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

It was awesome. Josh Harrison made the same leaping catch on the same day at nearly the same point in the outfield in a Pirates win and got zero recognition. Puig’s was in a loss that he helped cause with two base running brain farts, but he’s called “entertaining”. Doesn’t matter – the Giants have already won 7 of 10 from the Dodgers and are starting to run away with the division. And for every amazing catch by Puig, you’ve got Kemp botching two more.

• stercuilus65 - May 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Somebody get the big boy diapers out, tex is crapping all over the place!

• stlouis1baseball - May 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Wonderful post Texas. You are all over like a 2nd shirt.
        Noone can disagree. They might try. But if they do, they aren’t being honest with themselves.

7. steveohho - May 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

You know if he were a Met, the NYC press would crown Puig king of Queens!

8. andreweac - May 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Torres is a clown.

9. drewsylvania - May 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM

At this point, Puig could hit six homers in a game, or become Aaron Hernandez 2.0, and neither would surprise me.

10. yankeessuckameanone - May 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Home boy is upset that his beloved Puig gets called out so he talks down to a veteran. Try to remember why you’re barbecuing this weekend punk.

• Old Gator - May 24, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Thanks. You beat me to it.

11. sdbunting - May 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM

*lightning, not “lightening”

12. gbart22 - May 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

He’s not a fan of puig big deal. People aren’t fans of a lot of players for various reasons. He’s not wrong about baseball media adoring puig though and constantly writing stories about him. Perhaps he finds the over coverage annoying like a lot of us.

13. notsofast10 - May 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Until today, I had never heard of Carlos Torres.

14. notsofast10 - May 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Just watched Heyward’s catch. Awesome….but, diving and catching the ball with a back handed glove makes the play way more difficult, plus Puig was running faster and flew longer in the air.

15. jfk69 - May 24, 2014 at 5:20 PM

On Puig. He reminds me of Orlando Cepada. Both

16. jfk69 - May 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM

On Puig. He reminds me of Orlando Cepada. Both on and off the field

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Cepeda.

• notsofast10 - May 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM

You can say that again.

17. phillysports1 - May 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I would love Puig on my team. I would pick him over Harper, Braun, Alex Gordon, W. Myers , Heyward, Jay Bruce, Hunter, Springer, Allen Craig , Markakis etc etc..

18. nottinghamforest13 - May 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM

The guy is human trash. Drunk driving, sexual impropriety, financial malfeasance – the list goes on. We see once again the media giving him a pass, however.

• thetoolsofignorance - May 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Drunk driving, sexual impropriety, financial malfeasance

what in sam hill are you talking about? you’d best cite some sources for this stuff

• gloccamorra - May 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Google is your friend.

• thetoolsofignorance - May 25, 2014 at 1:15 AM

He made the assertions he can provide the evidence

• jimeejohnson - May 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM

He lives under a rock in the forest.

• thetoolsofignorance - May 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Do you people mean Puig or do you mean Torres? The way this is all written it seems to be meaning Puig. However I can’t find a shred of evidence for any of it. As for Torres, I’v never heard of him before this. Once again, cite some evidence.

• stercuilus65 - May 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Pretty judgemental for a molester, just sayin…

19. stercuilus65 - May 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

First Torres claims Puig stands in the OF unready before EVERY PITCH unready and in the next tweet claims he doesnt care to watch him. So what is it? You are watching him every pitch but you dont care to watch him? Get your stories straight r!

20. willis56 - May 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Sounds like Torres spent most of his time watching Puig.
    Quit being a hater Torres,worry bout your own sorry ass and loser team.

21. ch0psuey - May 25, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Dude nailed it.

22. jimeejohnson - May 25, 2014 at 1:40 AM

The Feces capital of the Universe has effected this nut.

23. Professor Fate - May 25, 2014 at 1:53 AM

If you’re a Dodgers fan, like me, Puig has a couple of things going for him: He plays with a lot of passion, which sometimes results in mistakes, and he has an uncanny ability to piss off all the right jerks.

As he gets older and more experienced the mistakes will decrease and as long as he keeps making plays I don’t see the haters’ panties unwadding any time soon. Fun times all around.

24. janessa31888 - May 25, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I’ d take him on the Tribe, that’s for sure. Now, if he had a temper like Milton Bradley then I would have problems. He became quite a headache for the Indians.

• notsofast10 - May 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM

For the Indians and every other team he played for.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate