May 24, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Hundley was hitting .271 (16-for-59) with one home run and three RBI in 33 games with the Padres this season while serving as Yasmani Grandal‘s backup. The 30-year-old owns a .238/.296/.389 batting line in the majors and figures to get the bulk of the playing time over Steve Clevenger in Baltimore. He’s being paid $4 million this season and his contract includes a $5 million club option for next year.
Patton, 28, sat out the first 25 games this season while serving a suspension for Adderall use. He has a 3.28 ERA over 161 2/3 innings in the majors and will presumably function as a left-handed specialist with his new club.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)