May 24, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The defending World Series champions are having a rough go of it lately. They entered Saturday’s game against the Rays having lost eight consecutive games, including Friday’s brutal 1-0 walk-off loss to the Rays. It got worse on Saturday, as the Red Sox jumped out to an early 5-0 lead against David Price, but watched that lead slip away, eventually becoming a 5-5 tie that would last into the 15th inning.
Against reliever Andrew Miller in his first inning of work, the Rays put runners on first and second with no outs on a James Loney single to center, and a bunt single by Brandon Guyer, which moved pinch-runner Cole Figueroa to second base. On a 1-2 count, Desmond Jennings hit a weak chopper back to the mound which appeared to be an easy 1-4-3 double play, or at least a 1-4 putout. Instead, Miller’s throw missed the mark and bounced into center field, allowing Figueroa to score the winning run.
For a team that has been running as bad as the Red Sox have, it really doesn’t get any more brutal than that.
Watch the walk-off loss:
The Red Sox are now 20-28, seven games behind the first-place Blue Jays in the AL East. Their -24 run differential is, at the moment, tied with the Rangers for the second-worst in the American League.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)