May 24, 2014, 10:05 PM EST
The defending World Series champions are having a rough go of it lately. They entered Saturday’s game against the Rays having lost eight consecutive games, including Friday’s brutal 1-0 walk-off loss to the Rays. It got worse on Saturday, as the Red Sox jumped out to an early 5-0 lead against David Price, but watched that lead slip away, eventually becoming a 5-5 tie that would last into the 15th inning.
Against reliever Andrew Miller in his first inning of work, the Rays put runners on first and second with no outs on a James Loney single to center, and a bunt single by Brandon Guyer, which moved pinch-runner Cole Figueroa to second base. On a 1-2 count, Desmond Jennings hit a weak chopper back to the mound which appeared to be an easy 1-4-3 double play, or at least a 1-4 putout. Instead, Miller’s throw missed the mark and bounced into center field, allowing Figueroa to score the winning run.
For a team that has been running as bad as the Red Sox have, it really doesn’t get any more brutal than that.
Watch the walk-off loss:
The Red Sox are now 20-28, seven games behind the first-place Blue Jays in the AL East. Their -24 run differential is, at the moment, tied with the Rangers for the second-worst in the American League.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)