May 24, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
The slide continues for the Red Sox.
Cole Figueroa delivered a pinch-hit RBI double off Burke Badenhop in the bottom of the ninth inning last night to give the Rays a 1-0 win over the Red Sox at Tropicana Field. Boston has now dropped eight consecutive games and own the fourth-worst record in the majors at 20-27.
John Lackey was excellent, allowing just five hits and one walk over seven-plus scoreless innings, but the Red Sox offense just couldn’t get anything going, That’s becoming a familiar refrain. They went 0-for-5 with men in scoring position and left eight men on base. Chris Archer went six scoreless innings for the Rays while matching a career-high with 11 strikeouts.
After the game, David Ortiz provided his analysis of the situation:
Your Friday box scores:
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)