May 24, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
The slide continues for the Red Sox.
Cole Figueroa delivered a pinch-hit RBI double off Burke Badenhop in the bottom of the ninth inning last night to give the Rays a 1-0 win over the Red Sox at Tropicana Field. Boston has now dropped eight consecutive games and own the fourth-worst record in the majors at 20-27.
John Lackey was excellent, allowing just five hits and one walk over seven-plus scoreless innings, but the Red Sox offense just couldn’t get anything going, That’s becoming a familiar refrain. They went 0-for-5 with men in scoring position and left eight men on base. Chris Archer went six scoreless innings for the Rays while matching a career-high with 11 strikeouts.
After the game, David Ortiz provided his analysis of the situation:
Your Friday box scores:
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)