May 24, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
The slide continues for the Red Sox.
Cole Figueroa delivered a pinch-hit RBI double off Burke Badenhop in the bottom of the ninth inning last night to give the Rays a 1-0 win over the Red Sox at Tropicana Field. Boston has now dropped eight consecutive games and own the fourth-worst record in the majors at 20-27.
John Lackey was excellent, allowing just five hits and one walk over seven-plus scoreless innings, but the Red Sox offense just couldn’t get anything going, That’s becoming a familiar refrain. They went 0-for-5 with men in scoring position and left eight men on base. Chris Archer went six scoreless innings for the Rays while matching a career-high with 11 strikeouts.
After the game, David Ortiz provided his analysis of the situation:
Your Friday box scores:
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)