May 24, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
The slide continues for the Red Sox.
Cole Figueroa delivered a pinch-hit RBI double off Burke Badenhop in the bottom of the ninth inning last night to give the Rays a 1-0 win over the Red Sox at Tropicana Field. Boston has now dropped eight consecutive games and own the fourth-worst record in the majors at 20-27.
John Lackey was excellent, allowing just five hits and one walk over seven-plus scoreless innings, but the Red Sox offense just couldn’t get anything going, That’s becoming a familiar refrain. They went 0-for-5 with men in scoring position and left eight men on base. Chris Archer went six scoreless innings for the Rays while matching a career-high with 11 strikeouts.
After the game, David Ortiz provided his analysis of the situation:
Your Friday box scores:
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120