May 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox placed Victorino on the disabled list and recalled Daniel Nava from Triple-A Pawtucket.
11:01 a.m. ET: Because an eight-game losing streak isn’t bad enough, here’s this. According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, Shane Victorino left last night’s game against the Rays after he tweaked his right hamstring on bunt attempt in the ninth inning.
Victorino missed the first three weeks of the season due to a right hamstring strain, so this isn’t a good sign. Red Sox manager John Farrell said after the game that this injury isn’t doesn’t appear to be as serious, but more should be known later today.
“Preliminary, or at least the first exam, doesn’t appear to be as severe as spring training,’’ Farrell said. “But we’ll get a better read on it once a full workup is done when he gets to the park (today).”
Victorino has struggled so far this season, batting just .242 with one home run and a .276 on-base percentage through 21 games. Boston’s outfield is batting just .220/.296/.337 as a unit this season. Only the Twins have a lower OPS from their outfield.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)