May 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox placed Victorino on the disabled list and recalled Daniel Nava from Triple-A Pawtucket.
11:01 a.m. ET: Because an eight-game losing streak isn’t bad enough, here’s this. According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, Shane Victorino left last night’s game against the Rays after he tweaked his right hamstring on bunt attempt in the ninth inning.
Victorino missed the first three weeks of the season due to a right hamstring strain, so this isn’t a good sign. Red Sox manager John Farrell said after the game that this injury isn’t doesn’t appear to be as serious, but more should be known later today.
“Preliminary, or at least the first exam, doesn’t appear to be as severe as spring training,’’ Farrell said. “But we’ll get a better read on it once a full workup is done when he gets to the park (today).”
Victorino has struggled so far this season, batting just .242 with one home run and a .276 on-base percentage through 21 games. Boston’s outfield is batting just .220/.296/.337 as a unit this season. Only the Twins have a lower OPS from their outfield.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)