May 25, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin reports that outfielder Eric Young, Jr. is headed to the 15-day disabled list with a pulled hamstring. The Mets are expected to call up outfielder Matt den Dekker to fill the void.
den Dekker, 26, is slashing .275/.333/.431 with four home runs and 26 RBI with Triple-A Las Vegas. He made his major league debut last season, but struggled, posting a .207 average with one home run in 63 plate appearances.
Rubin provides some light-hearted trivia to end the weekend:
When Travis d’Arnaud activated later this week, Mets will be 1st team in MLB history with 3 lower-case Ds on roster: deGrom, den Dekker.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) May 25, 2014
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)