May 25, 2014, 9:38 AM EST
George Springer was held out of the Astros’ lineup on Thursday and Friday after tweaking his hip flexor when he was picked off at first base by Angels starter Jered Weaver in the top of the ninth inning Wednesday night in Anaheim. He returned to action on Saturday and appeared refreshed, homering twice and driving in five total runs as Houston routed the host Mariners 9-4 at Seattle’s Safeco Field.
Check out both blasts here, courtesy of MLB.com:
Springer got off to a sluggish start following his April 16 promotion to the major leagues, but the talented 24-year-old outfielder now has a .963 OPS with six home runs and 16 RBI in 19 games this month.
Springer, a first-round pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft, was a .319/.431/.630 hitter with 21 home runs in 75 games at Triple-A Oklahoma City. Baseball America rated him a Top 20 prospect this past winter.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)