May 25, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
UPDATE, 4:14 p.m. ET: Beckett got pinch-hitter Tony Gwynn Jr. to fly out to shallow left field and then Ben Revere hit a slow-roller to first base for the first two outs of the bottom of the ninth. Beckett went to a 3-2 count on Jimmy Rollins and then walked him with a curveball low and inside. It was the third walk of the day for Beckett and brought up the hot-hitting Chase Utley, who also went to 3-2 and then watched a fastball down the middle for the final out. It was Beckett’s first career no-hitter. He did it on 128 total pitches with six strikeouts and three walks.
The no-hitter was the first for a Dodgers pitcher since Hideo Nomo’s at Coors Field in 1996.
UPDATE, 4:01 p.m. ET: Beckett struck out Domonic Brown looking, induced an easy groundout from Wil Nieves, and then got Cesar Hernandez swinging in a perfect eighth frame. He’s now up to five strikeouts on the afternoon and is only three outs away from completing the no-hitter with a pitch count of 110.
Dodgers right-hander Josh Beckett is flirting with history Sunday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park.
The 34-year-old has no-hit the host Phillies over seven innings, though he’s already up to 100 pitches.
We’ll have frame-by-frame updates as he tries to finish this thing off.
The only blemishes on the afternoon for Beckett are two walks — one in the first inning to Chase Utley and another in the second to Marlon Byrd. He has three strikeouts as the eighth inning gets underway.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)