May 25, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
UPDATE, 4:14 p.m. ET: Beckett got pinch-hitter Tony Gwynn Jr. to fly out to shallow left field and then Ben Revere hit a slow-roller to first base for the first two outs of the bottom of the ninth. Beckett went to a 3-2 count on Jimmy Rollins and then walked him with a curveball low and inside. It was the third walk of the day for Beckett and brought up the hot-hitting Chase Utley, who also went to 3-2 and then watched a fastball down the middle for the final out. It was Beckett’s first career no-hitter. He did it on 128 total pitches with six strikeouts and three walks.
The no-hitter was the first for a Dodgers pitcher since Hideo Nomo’s at Coors Field in 1996.
UPDATE, 4:01 p.m. ET: Beckett struck out Domonic Brown looking, induced an easy groundout from Wil Nieves, and then got Cesar Hernandez swinging in a perfect eighth frame. He’s now up to five strikeouts on the afternoon and is only three outs away from completing the no-hitter with a pitch count of 110.
Dodgers right-hander Josh Beckett is flirting with history Sunday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park.
The 34-year-old has no-hit the host Phillies over seven innings, though he’s already up to 100 pitches.
We’ll have frame-by-frame updates as he tries to finish this thing off.
The only blemishes on the afternoon for Beckett are two walks — one in the first inning to Chase Utley and another in the second to Marlon Byrd. He has three strikeouts as the eighth inning gets underway.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)