May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain had to cut a bullpen session short on Saturday afternoon due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring and now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that he has been scratched from his next turn in the San Francisco starting rotation, Monday against the Cubs. Yusmeiro Petit will make the start instead.
Cain suffered a Grade 1 right hamstring strain three innings into his start last Wednesday against the Rockies. The Giants are optimistic that he will only need to miss one outing, so they’re keeping him off the disabled list for now.
Cain has a 3.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 39 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings this year for first-place San Francisco.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 38
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 66
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)