May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain had to cut a bullpen session short on Saturday afternoon due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring and now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that he has been scratched from his next turn in the San Francisco starting rotation, Monday against the Cubs. Yusmeiro Petit will make the start instead.
Cain suffered a Grade 1 right hamstring strain three innings into his start last Wednesday against the Rockies. The Giants are optimistic that he will only need to miss one outing, so they’re keeping him off the disabled list for now.
Cain has a 3.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 39 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings this year for first-place San Francisco.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)