May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain had to cut a bullpen session short on Saturday afternoon due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring and now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that he has been scratched from his next turn in the San Francisco starting rotation, Monday against the Cubs. Yusmeiro Petit will make the start instead.
Cain suffered a Grade 1 right hamstring strain three innings into his start last Wednesday against the Rockies. The Giants are optimistic that he will only need to miss one outing, so they’re keeping him off the disabled list for now.
Cain has a 3.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 39 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings this year for first-place San Francisco.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)