May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Giants right-hander Matt Cain had to cut a bullpen session short on Saturday afternoon due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring and now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that he has been scratched from his next turn in the San Francisco starting rotation, Monday against the Cubs. Yusmeiro Petit will make the start instead.
Cain suffered a Grade 1 right hamstring strain three innings into his start last Wednesday against the Rockies. The Giants are optimistic that he will only need to miss one outing, so they’re keeping him off the disabled list for now.
Cain has a 3.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 39 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings this year for first-place San Francisco.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)