May 25, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Giants right-hander Matt Cain had to cut a bullpen session short on Saturday afternoon due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring and now Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that he has been scratched from his next turn in the San Francisco starting rotation, Monday against the Cubs. Yusmeiro Petit will make the start instead.
Cain suffered a Grade 1 right hamstring strain three innings into his start last Wednesday against the Rockies. The Giants are optimistic that he will only need to miss one outing, so they’re keeping him off the disabled list for now.
Cain has a 3.66 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, and 39 strikeouts in 46 2/3 innings this year for first-place San Francisco.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)