May 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
As first relayed by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have placed first baseman Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list because of ongoing problems with his sprained left ring finger.
Napoli dislocated the finger on a dive into the second base bag back in mid-April. He initially missed just one game, but discomfort has lingered and he will use this extended to rest to finally get rid of it.
Mike Carp will be the primary fill-in at first base for the defending World Series-champion Red Sox, who are in last place in the American League East standings and have lost nine consecutive games.
Napoli is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI in 43 games this season.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)