May 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As first relayed by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have placed first baseman Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list because of ongoing problems with his sprained left ring finger.
Napoli dislocated the finger on a dive into the second base bag back in mid-April. He initially missed just one game, but discomfort has lingered and he will use this extended to rest to finally get rid of it.
Mike Carp will be the primary fill-in at first base for the defending World Series-champion Red Sox, who are in last place in the American League East standings and have lost nine consecutive games.
Napoli is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI in 43 games this season.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)