May 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As first relayed by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have placed first baseman Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list because of ongoing problems with his sprained left ring finger.
Napoli dislocated the finger on a dive into the second base bag back in mid-April. He initially missed just one game, but discomfort has lingered and he will use this extended to rest to finally get rid of it.
Mike Carp will be the primary fill-in at first base for the defending World Series-champion Red Sox, who are in last place in the American League East standings and have lost nine consecutive games.
Napoli is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI in 43 games this season.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)