May 25, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
As first relayed by Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have placed first baseman Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list because of ongoing problems with his sprained left ring finger.
Napoli dislocated the finger on a dive into the second base bag back in mid-April. He initially missed just one game, but discomfort has lingered and he will use this extended to rest to finally get rid of it.
Mike Carp will be the primary fill-in at first base for the defending World Series-champion Red Sox, who are in last place in the American League East standings and have lost nine consecutive games.
Napoli is batting .260/.390/.416 with five home runs and 22 RBI in 43 games this season.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)