May 25, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Per the Padres official Twitter, the team has recalled IF/OF Tommy Medica from Triple-A El Paso and designated pitchers Blaine Boyer and Billy Buckner for assignment. The Padres recently acquired lefty reliever Troy Patton from the Orioles in the Nick Hundley trade, so they needed to clear up a roster spot.
Medica, 26, posted a .734 OPS in 101 plate appearances in the minors. He has already spent some time with the Padres at the big league level, slashing .161/.212/.290 in 33 plate appearances.
Boyer, 32, tossed a pair of scoreless innings in the majors while compiling a 3.32 ERA with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 21 2/3 innings with El Paso.
Buckner, 30, allowed three runs in 5 2/3 innings in Saturday’s spot start against the Cubs and posted a 2.89 ERA in five starts spanning 28 innings with El Paso.
Boyer and Buckner can each become free agents if they pass through waivers.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47