May 25, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Per the Padres official Twitter, the team has recalled IF/OF Tommy Medica from Triple-A El Paso and designated pitchers Blaine Boyer and Billy Buckner for assignment. The Padres recently acquired lefty reliever Troy Patton from the Orioles in the Nick Hundley trade, so they needed to clear up a roster spot.
Medica, 26, posted a .734 OPS in 101 plate appearances in the minors. He has already spent some time with the Padres at the big league level, slashing .161/.212/.290 in 33 plate appearances.
Boyer, 32, tossed a pair of scoreless innings in the majors while compiling a 3.32 ERA with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 21 2/3 innings with El Paso.
Buckner, 30, allowed three runs in 5 2/3 innings in Saturday’s spot start against the Cubs and posted a 2.89 ERA in five starts spanning 28 innings with El Paso.
Boyer and Buckner can each become free agents if they pass through waivers.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)