May 25, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Per the Padres official Twitter, the team has recalled IF/OF Tommy Medica from Triple-A El Paso and designated pitchers Blaine Boyer and Billy Buckner for assignment. The Padres recently acquired lefty reliever Troy Patton from the Orioles in the Nick Hundley trade, so they needed to clear up a roster spot.
Medica, 26, posted a .734 OPS in 101 plate appearances in the minors. He has already spent some time with the Padres at the big league level, slashing .161/.212/.290 in 33 plate appearances.
Boyer, 32, tossed a pair of scoreless innings in the majors while compiling a 3.32 ERA with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 21 2/3 innings with El Paso.
Buckner, 30, allowed three runs in 5 2/3 innings in Saturday’s spot start against the Cubs and posted a 2.89 ERA in five starts spanning 28 innings with El Paso.
Boyer and Buckner can each become free agents if they pass through waivers.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)