May 25, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The injury-ravaged Rangers received yet more bad news on Friday, when they learned that first baseman Prince Fielder has a herniated C5-C6 disc in his neck. The Rangers placed Fielder on the 15-day disabled list, but he could undergo season-ending surgery to fix the injury.
Looking to fill the void with Fielder out, the Rangers will go back to Mitch Moreland at first base. They’ve also been scoping out available players, one of which is Nationals first baseman Tyler Moore. Via MLB.com’s Bill Ladson:
[…] the Rangers are in need of a first baseman and they have inquired about Nationals first baseman/outfielder Tyler Moore, according to a baseball source.
The source indicated that nothing is serious and the Rangers have a long list of first basemen they have interest in.
Moore and Moreland would make for a decent platoon given their last names. However, over 420 big league plate appearances, Moore has a reverse platoon split which means he has hit same-handed pitching better than opposite-handed pitching. Against right-handers, Moore has a .734 OPS and against lefties, he has a .679 OPS.
Moore has been filling in for the injured Adam LaRoche, but LaRoche made his return to the Nationals’ lineup on Sunday afternoon. As a result, Moore will see his playing time diminish, making him expendable.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)