May 26, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Ellis wasn’t even behind the plate for Beckett’s gem. That job went to Drew Butera, who caught his second no-hitter, but Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles reports that Ellis sprained his right ankle when he landed on Butera’s discarded catcher’s mask during the celebration.
Tim Federowicz has been called up from Triple-A to replace Ellis on the roster and he’ll split time with Butera. Ellis hasn’t hit much since last season, batting .231 with a .669 OPS in 130 games, but that makes him look like Mike Piazza offensively compared to Butera’s career .185 batting average and .508 OPS.
Oh, and there’s this: Miguel Olivo was playing catcher for the Dodgers at Triple-A and hitting .368 there, so if he hadn’t gone and bitten off teammate Alex Guerrero’s ear there’s a strong chance he’d be the Dodgers’ starting catcher right now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)