May 26, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: And so much for that. After a super-long bottom of the seventh inning in which the Dodgers scored three runs and Ryu reached on an error and ran the bases, Todd Frazier led off the top of the eighth inning with a double down the left field line to break up the perfect game.
Ryu is perfect through seven innings this evening against the Reds at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. The southpaw has been on cruise control, striking out seven batters while throwing 58 out of 82 pitches for strikes.
Stay tuned to see if Ryu can complete the 24th perfect game in MLB history. By the way, no team has ever had no-hitters in back-to-back games. That could change tonight.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)