Derek Jeter is signing a pretty cool ball today

May 26, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Specifically, a ball that has been signed by multiple members of the 3,000-hit club, including Tris Speaker, Lou Brock, Pete Rose, Stan Musial and Ty Cobb:

I feel like, even if I was Derek Jeter, I’d be scared to death to sign that thing. Like, worried I’d smudge Ty Cobb’s name or accidentally write over the tail of the “l” at the end of Stan Musial.

I also wonder if Rafael Palmeiro’s name is on it. I sorta hope Rafael Plameiro’s name is on it and that the he accidentally wrote over the tail of the “l” at the end of Stan Musial.

1. tmc602014 - May 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Maybe Plamiero tried to use the “l” in Musial Scrabble-style and ended up misspelling his own name?

• SocraticGadfly - May 26, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Pete Rose, since he has his name on it, will give you odds on how many more names will fit on the ball.

2. apeville - May 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM

This is dang cool.

3. Kevin S. - May 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Hey, this ball somehow just got cooler:

I know Craig is just thrilled that this ball is in the hands of such a fantastic artist.

• Kevin S. - May 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Buster saying it has everybody but Wagner and Anson. Damn.

4. miguelcairo - May 26, 2014 at 4:08 PM

IT’S F***** RUSH!

5. mybrunoblog - May 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM

The guy holding the ball should be using white gloves. The natural oils on the human hand will further deteriorate the ball and degrade the ink signatures. Interesting that Jeter joined the 3K hit club three years ago and he’s just signing the ball now.

6. whatacrocker - May 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

This site has far too many articles about Geddy Lee’s balls.

7. jimmyt - May 27, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I sorta hope you choke on a doughnut.

8. lordd99 - May 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Next up: A-Rod. (Yup, I had to go there).

I wonder how much room is on the ball for other signatures? Pujols seems likely to get there eventually. Cabrera, too, although can’t assume either.

There will come a point where Geddy may just have to end it if he doesn’t want to damage the overall value if signatures start getting crowded out or cross over.

Orioles turn AL East on its head