May 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Josh Hamilton was originally hoping to make his return from left thumb surgery tonight, but the Angels will have to wait a little bit longer to get him back in the lineup.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com passes along word that Hamilton is currently dealing with a bone bruise in his thumb that is unrelated to the surgery. He suffered the setback when he got jammed by a pitch while playing in his first minor league rehab game last Thursday. He’ll take at least one day off from swinging a bat and will have go back out on a rehab stint before being cleared to rejoin the Angels.
Hamilton was hitting .444 (12-for-27) with two home runs, six RBI, and a 1.286 OPS over eight games prior to tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his thumb on a head-first slide on April 8.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)