May 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton was originally hoping to make his return from left thumb surgery tonight, but the Angels will have to wait a little bit longer to get him back in the lineup.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com passes along word that Hamilton is currently dealing with a bone bruise in his thumb that is unrelated to the surgery. He suffered the setback when he got jammed by a pitch while playing in his first minor league rehab game last Thursday. He’ll take at least one day off from swinging a bat and will have go back out on a rehab stint before being cleared to rejoin the Angels.
Hamilton was hitting .444 (12-for-27) with two home runs, six RBI, and a 1.286 OPS over eight games prior to tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his thumb on a head-first slide on April 8.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (150)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)