May 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Josh Hamilton was originally hoping to make his return from left thumb surgery tonight, but the Angels will have to wait a little bit longer to get him back in the lineup.
Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com passes along word that Hamilton is currently dealing with a bone bruise in his thumb that is unrelated to the surgery. He suffered the setback when he got jammed by a pitch while playing in his first minor league rehab game last Thursday. He’ll take at least one day off from swinging a bat and will have go back out on a rehab stint before being cleared to rejoin the Angels.
Hamilton was hitting .444 (12-for-27) with two home runs, six RBI, and a 1.286 OPS over eight games prior to tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his thumb on a head-first slide on April 8.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)