Someone stole Hunter Pence’s scooter

May 26, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT

hunter pence scooter

Hunter Pence rides around on a motorized scooter. So often, in fact, that last season the Giants handed out a bobblehead doll depicting Pence on his beloved scooter.

But some jerk stole the scooter Sunday night while Pence had it parked at a restaurant in California. He didn’t have it locked up because, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com: “The battery charger is rare and it wouldn’t do anyone any good to take it.”

Someone took it anyway and now Pence is offering a no-questions-asked signed bobblehead for anyone who returns it to him in one piece. And he really seems broken up about losing it:

It was one of my favorite things that I have. I’m grateful for stuff, but aside from my baseball equipment and my scooter, and maybe my laptop, there are not many (possessions) that I care about. … I try not to be too attached to things, even though I have a bobblehead with it. I felt it was an extension of me.

Or as manager Bruce Bochy put it: “He had a sad face on this morning. I’ve never seen that.”

1. tfbuckfutter - May 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM

NERD!

2. nothanksimdriving123 - May 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

C’mon folks, let’s stop crying and take up a collection for this poor young fellow.

3. Carl Hancock - May 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM

You because someone who’s going to steal it is going to stop themselves because the battery charger is rare. They aren’t going to know that until afterwards.

4. wilmyers09 - May 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM

bet a red soxs player stole it lol

• ltpm3 - May 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Why would a Red Sox player steal it? Why not pick on another team??

• jwbiii - May 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Since the were Red Sox travelling from Tampa Bay to Atlanta last night, I’d say the odds on that are only slightly higher than your IQ.

5. sportsfan18 - May 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Depends who stole it and why… if it was to use, then the recharging the battery will become an issue.

If someone KNEW it was his and simply wanted it to be like a piece of art or knew someone who would pay to have Hunter’s scooter as a piece of art so to speak, then not having the charger doesn’t mean anything.

Weird ones out there.

Tough way to learn a lesson for Hunter though. Lock it up next time, even if it has a unique feature, charger etc…

And Mr. Pence, just because you KNOW the charger is rare does NOT mean that the common criminal knows this so the fact that the battery requires a special charger did and does nothing to keep your scooter safe…

Lock it up…

6. hittfamily - May 26, 2014 at 5:15 PM

He’s had it for 2 and a half years, and never locked it. It doesn’t look like it even weighs 40 pounds. San Fran is a much safer place than where I live I guess. I can’t even put an old grill on my curb without someone loading it up in their pickup bed.

7. provguard - May 26, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Probably twenty years from now some idiot will sell it on eBay….

8. rbj1 - May 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM

That’s a low blow, stealing a man’s scooter. Should be a hanging offense.

9. missingdiz - May 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM

These guys get hurt opening car doors and slicing sandwiches–maybe it’s all for the best.

10. sfm073 - May 26, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Lol a signed bobble head? At least give the person something of value.

11. 1998yanks - May 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Lived in California for 33 yrs. 2 bicycles, skateboards, and 2 cars stolen. My friends just had their baby stroller stolen at Disneyland last Summer. If you live in Cali, you WILL get something stolen. No surprise at all his scooter got snaked.

• ptfu - May 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM

His scooter got snaked? I guess the Dbacks were looking for a spark…

• that's the best linebacker i've seen since Joe Montana - May 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I live in AZ and the only thing getting stolen are our jobs… by illegals.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3337)