May 26, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Minnesota’s offense has gone in the tank after getting off to a shockingly strong start this season, but today the Twins get a pair of their best hitters off the disabled list in right fielder Oswaldo Arcia and left fielder Josh Willingham.
Arcia has been out since April 9 with a wrist injury and the Twins optioned him back to Triple-A once he was ready to come off the DL, but he crushed International League pitching and convinced them to actually add one of their best bats to the lineup (what a novel concept).
Willingham has been out since being hit on the hand by a pitch on April 7. His recovery went much more slowly than expected and based on his poor, injury wrecked performance last season there are a lot of question marks surrounding how much Willingham has left in the tank at age 35.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)