Astros prospect Jonathan Singleton’s Twitter feed will get him in some trouble if he’s not more careful
May 27, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Astros’ prospect Jonathan Singleton’s Twitter account is raw and unvarnished. For now anyway. I feel like that’ll all change once management decides that one of their top prospects calling someone “gay” as a mild insult and telling fans that he’ll sign their fan mail if they send him weed is not the best thing for The Brand:
@Ybarra11 cuz your gay
— THEiLlEST2400 (@iLLJAY_SiNG) May 27, 2014
The improper use of “your” there is almost as egregious, but let’s let that slide for now.
The weed tweet has been deleted, it seems, but nothing disappears on the Internet:
Singleton is a kid and he probably doesn’t mean much by all that stuff. Guys his age often use “gay” as a putdown, even if they shouldn’t. And joking about autographs for weed, while not exactly hilarious, is also pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. UPDATE: Maybe not as harmless in Singleton’s case, as I had forgotten that he has said he has a marijuana addiction and has already been suspended for it once.
But Singleton is one of the future faces of a young franchise looking to win over a fan base that has grown apathetic over the past several years. And, more immediately, he is subject to a social media policy which makes it pretty clear that anything even looking like pro-drug references or even skirting the lines of homophobia, etc. is grounds for discipline.
Other players have done this and either haven’t been disciplined or, at the very least, received quiet discipline about it. Singleton had best watch it lest he get a phone call from someone with the club or the league telling him to knock it off.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 2
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)