May 27, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
This happened last week, but I’m just seeing it now via Deadspin. It’s Braves president John Schuerholz speaking to the Atlanta Press Club, talking about why the deal to move the Braves out of Turner Field and up to Cobb County had to be done so secretly:
“It didn’t leak out. If it had leaked out, this deal would not have gotten done,” he said.
Schuerholz told press and business leaders in Atlanta that he couldn’t have completed the Braves’ deal with Cobb County in public.
“If it had gotten out, more people would have started taking the position of, ‘We don’t want that to happen. We want to see how viable this was going to be,'” Schuerholz said. “We were able to get that all done.”
In other words: “if we told anyone we were doing it they may have opposed it and questioned whether it was a good idea, and that would’ve been awful for us!”
I suppose that’s a rare bit of candor for a corporate welfare recipient, although I assume it was unintentional.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)