May 27, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
This happened last week, but I’m just seeing it now via Deadspin. It’s Braves president John Schuerholz speaking to the Atlanta Press Club, talking about why the deal to move the Braves out of Turner Field and up to Cobb County had to be done so secretly:
“It didn’t leak out. If it had leaked out, this deal would not have gotten done,” he said.
Schuerholz told press and business leaders in Atlanta that he couldn’t have completed the Braves’ deal with Cobb County in public.
“If it had gotten out, more people would have started taking the position of, ‘We don’t want that to happen. We want to see how viable this was going to be,'” Schuerholz said. “We were able to get that all done.”
In other words: “if we told anyone we were doing it they may have opposed it and questioned whether it was a good idea, and that would’ve been awful for us!”
I suppose that’s a rare bit of candor for a corporate welfare recipient, although I assume it was unintentional.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)