May 27, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
This happened last week, but I’m just seeing it now via Deadspin. It’s Braves president John Schuerholz speaking to the Atlanta Press Club, talking about why the deal to move the Braves out of Turner Field and up to Cobb County had to be done so secretly:
“It didn’t leak out. If it had leaked out, this deal would not have gotten done,” he said.
Schuerholz told press and business leaders in Atlanta that he couldn’t have completed the Braves’ deal with Cobb County in public.
“If it had gotten out, more people would have started taking the position of, ‘We don’t want that to happen. We want to see how viable this was going to be,'” Schuerholz said. “We were able to get that all done.”
In other words: “if we told anyone we were doing it they may have opposed it and questioned whether it was a good idea, and that would’ve been awful for us!”
I suppose that’s a rare bit of candor for a corporate welfare recipient, although I assume it was unintentional.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)