Cheap beer and hot dogs alert: What does $20 get you at the ballpark?

May 27, 2014, 4:03 PM EST

Ballpark hotdog

Here’s a fun infographic from CNNMoney: what will $20 get you in beer and food at each ballpark? They asked teams to give them the price of the smallest adult-sized hot dog and the cheapest available beer, whatever the size, and it resulted in a handsome and clickable display.

To be clear, this is a year old — ¬†I’m just seeing it and sharing it today — so it reflects 2013 prices. And Not every ballpark is represented. The Blue Jays, Rays, Yankees and Red Sox didn’t respond. But the rest of them did. And even if it’s somewhat incomplete and a bit old, it is at least a useful¬†breakdown of the number of beers and number of hot dogs you can get for a couple of sawbucks.

As far as optimization goes, here is where those $4 10-12 ounce beers a lot of parks have come into play. And, while one would assume that regular prices are what’s most relevant for this sort of thing, in some of the cases hot dog specials seem to be part of the team’s responses. Like, maybe there’s a place in Great American Ballpark that routinely has $1 hot dogs, but I go there pretty often and I’m not sure I’ve seen them. On the other hand, the Indians frequently do “dollar dog night,” but their response set forth standard $3 hot dogs.

Good time killer.

1. justinreds - May 27, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Great American has a $1 hot dog stand in the upper deck concourse that is open every day. Also has $1 popcorn, soda, and crackerjacks.

2. musketmaniac - May 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM

And my fight over overpriced movie theater popcorn takes a turn.

3. basedrum777 - May 27, 2014 at 4:15 PM

i don’t go to a baseball game to eat food I go to watch baseball. My seats in Yankees stadium were $12 two years ago. This year they’re $20. Still a deal. STFU about prices if you don’t look at the prices before you comment. Everyone I meet is like “Oh how do you afford that?” to which I say the prices and they say “oh i didn’t know it was that inexpensive”.

• asimonetti88 - May 27, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I get hungry sometimes. It’s a function of me needing food to create energy for my body to run on, I guess.

• jrbdmb - May 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Is that you Steinbrenner?

4. rbj1 - May 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM

That’s a reason I like minor league baseball. Mud Hens have $8 32 oz. beers.

• neoshweaty - May 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Damn. That’s a hell of a deal.

• dnc6 - May 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Not when you realize that you’re spending $4 on a warm, flat 16 oz Bud Light.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - May 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I’m that guy looking to bring in his favorite sammich, procured from a local establishment, rather than overpriced crap at the ballpark. Not just for the cost savings, but for the sheer eatability and enjoyment.

But that’s just me. YMMV.

• 18thstreet - May 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM

But ballpark food is a lot better than it was 20 years ago. So while it’s still overpriced for my tastes (ha!), it’s at least pretty good.

• Jason @ IIATMS - May 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

yes it has, but I’m still faced with the debate: Do I spend $10 on a hand carved sandwich, made to my exact preferences, or the same (or oftentimes, more) for a bucket of fried chicken fingers, or something else pre-made (looking at you, Johnny Rockets and the like). Lobels is a difference maker, I’m told.

• classicfinder - May 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM

My guess is you haven’t been to Wrigley.

6. trbmb - May 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I do get a laugh out of the many people who go to games and spend the entire game pounding down junk food all game and watching very little of the game itself. Buy an expensive ticket to pound down nothing but junk and ignore the actual event. It is funny and sad.

7. Marty McKee - May 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I demolished Dollar Dog Night at Nats Park last week.

8. El Bravo - May 27, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Dollar dogs would kill me dead. Thankfully I’m in overpriced Chicago. I guess no one tips on here either ;)

9. edwardemanuelson - May 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM

You can’t beat the helmet of nachos, no matter the park! Free helmet too!

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

WARNING: Not to be worn as a protective device!
      (The helmet, that is. For that matter, do not wear the nachos as a protective device either.)

10. frank35sox - May 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Yeah, so there’s definitely a 3 sided concession stand at Great American on the 1st base line behind the main concourse that sells everything for $1 all game long. It’s a little bit of a line but 100% worth it.

11. asimonetti88 - May 27, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I would love to know where these supposed $4.50 beers are at Angel Stadium

• senotonom205 - May 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about Comerica Park and these so called 5 dollar beers. Even if it is based off of 2013 prices, beers were more expensive last year. 9.25 for a large compared to 9.00 this year.

• classicfinder - May 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

They are conveniently located right outside the restrooms. The wall opposite the urinals.

12. natinals10 - May 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Beers at nationals park are $9.25 and hot dogs are $6.00. Has to be the most expensive stadium I’ve ever visited.

13. stlouis1baseball - May 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM

CC: The Great American Smallpark has a $1.00 hot dog stand in the concourse of the upper deck.
    They used to have these stands in several locations. But this is the only place I have been able to find one (and it;’s only one) over the last couple of years. But yeah…$1.00 hot dogs fo’ show.’

14. musketmaniac - May 27, 2014 at 7:59 PM

PNC has an all you can eat section/night. not sure how it works. but they gorge. maybe they sale rolaids for $2.25 a pill to make up for it.

15. cohnjusack - May 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Where are these CNN reporters getting $5.75 beers at Citi Field? Cause that ain’t true.

16. rcali - May 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Ha ha, at least the Yanks, Sox, and Blue Jays knew it was too embarrassing to contribute, while the others lied.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (3934)