May 27, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Carlos Santana was scratched from the Indians’ lineup yesterday amid concerns that he might be dealing with post-concussion symptoms and sure enough he’s been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Cleveland also placed Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list with a hyperextended left knee suffered Monday, shutting down the first baseman after he hit just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games.
Of course, Swisher’s production looks great compared to Santana’s horrendous start to the season, which includes hitting .159 with 46 strikeouts in 50 games. Santana does have a league-leading 43 walks, but he’s looked lost at the plate all season in addition to struggling with a transition to third base defensively.
Santana previously was sidelined by a concussion in 2012 and these recent symptoms stem from being hit in the mask by a foul tip while catching Sunday.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 61
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)