May 27, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Carlos Santana was scratched from the Indians’ lineup yesterday amid concerns that he might be dealing with post-concussion symptoms and sure enough he’s been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Cleveland also placed Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list with a hyperextended left knee suffered Monday, shutting down the first baseman after he hit just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games.
Of course, Swisher’s production looks great compared to Santana’s horrendous start to the season, which includes hitting .159 with 46 strikeouts in 50 games. Santana does have a league-leading 43 walks, but he’s looked lost at the plate all season in addition to struggling with a transition to third base defensively.
Santana previously was sidelined by a concussion in 2012 and these recent symptoms stem from being hit in the mask by a foul tip while catching Sunday.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)