May 27, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Carlos Santana was scratched from the Indians’ lineup yesterday amid concerns that he might be dealing with post-concussion symptoms and sure enough he’s been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Cleveland also placed Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list with a hyperextended left knee suffered Monday, shutting down the first baseman after he hit just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games.
Of course, Swisher’s production looks great compared to Santana’s horrendous start to the season, which includes hitting .159 with 46 strikeouts in 50 games. Santana does have a league-leading 43 walks, but he’s looked lost at the plate all season in addition to struggling with a transition to third base defensively.
Santana previously was sidelined by a concussion in 2012 and these recent symptoms stem from being hit in the mask by a foul tip while catching Sunday.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)