May 27, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Carlos Santana was scratched from the Indians’ lineup yesterday amid concerns that he might be dealing with post-concussion symptoms and sure enough he’s been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Cleveland also placed Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list with a hyperextended left knee suffered Monday, shutting down the first baseman after he hit just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games.
Of course, Swisher’s production looks great compared to Santana’s horrendous start to the season, which includes hitting .159 with 46 strikeouts in 50 games. Santana does have a league-leading 43 walks, but he’s looked lost at the plate all season in addition to struggling with a transition to third base defensively.
Santana previously was sidelined by a concussion in 2012 and these recent symptoms stem from being hit in the mask by a foul tip while catching Sunday.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)