May 27, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Carlos Santana was scratched from the Indians’ lineup yesterday amid concerns that he might be dealing with post-concussion symptoms and sure enough he’s been placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Cleveland also placed Nick Swisher on the 15-day disabled list with a hyperextended left knee suffered Monday, shutting down the first baseman after he hit just .211 with three homers and a .631 OPS in 49 games.
Of course, Swisher’s production looks great compared to Santana’s horrendous start to the season, which includes hitting .159 with 46 strikeouts in 50 games. Santana does have a league-leading 43 walks, but he’s looked lost at the plate all season in addition to struggling with a transition to third base defensively.
Santana previously was sidelined by a concussion in 2012 and these recent symptoms stem from being hit in the mask by a foul tip while catching Sunday.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (102)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)