Mark Teixeira has pain in his surgically repaired wrist

May 27, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira AP

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira has played well since coming off the disabled list in late April, posting an .884 OPS with nine homers in 31 games, but now he’s once again dealing with pain in his surgically repaired right wrist.

Teixeira sat out Monday’s game and told Brendan Kuty of the Newark Star Ledger that the pain in his wrist was “ratcheted up, definitely.” Kuty reports that it’s the first time Teixeira has felt pain like that since spring training and he’ll probably sit out at least the next two games as the Yankees play it safe about 10 months after his initial surgery last year.

He played just 15 games last season and made it only four games this year before being shut down and placed on the disabled list with hamstring problems, but Teixeira has shown excellent power and plate discipline since returning and his current .843 OPS would be his highest since his first season with the Yankees back in 2009.

1. Benjamin Kabak - May 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM

…with a hamstring injury completely unrelated to his wrist. This is a new problem.

• nbjays - May 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM

He’s aging and fragile… it’s the same problem in a new location.

2. thetoolsofignorance - May 27, 2014 at 10:55 AM

When I tore up my wrist it took nearly 18 months for it to stop aching. It still doesn’t feel right when I play tennis and when I try and use it like I used to it hurts like heck. Texiera’s problems come as no surprise to me. Wrists get a lot of use, deal with a lot of pressure and impact from swung object contact like a ball bat or tennis racket will send vibrations into the wrist and make whatever’s wrong in there feel worse. Good luck to him. I sympathise.

3. jbriggs81 - May 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Tex mentioned that his wrist gave him some issues prior to going on the DL in April, so its likely the same reoccurring issue. Rest was the key. Tex should sit this entire series in St. Louis. They have an off day on Thursday as well, before the Twins come to the Bronx. This will give Tex off a full four days. Assuming its just his wrist barking from a lot of recent strain, this should give him a good chance to rest and come back strong again.

4. pete2112 - May 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM

This is really bad news if it’s more serious. He’s been great thus far this season and I really don’t like their alternatives for someone else playing first from a defensive standpoint.

5. lukedunphysscienceproject - May 27, 2014 at 12:09 PM

It’s a chronic joint injury on a 34 year old player. They are the ultimate gift that keeps on giving. I read an article before the season that said Tex could expect intermittent pain in that wrist for the rest of his career. I’ll say the same thing now that I did then: “Duh”.

They just need to manage it as best they can.

6. serbingood - May 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I think he could lessen the impact on the wrist if he only batted from the right side this year. His right arm and wrist take much more stress from the left side.

I’d rather see him go righty this year that have him sit out or DL off and on.

1. H. Pence (2117)