Ryne Sandberg said he ate cat food as a kid

May 27, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT

Ryne Sandberg Ryne Sandberg

Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg said he got food poisoning from the awesome burgers at Shake Shack a couple of weeks ago. But he apparently had no problem consuming food not meant for human consumption when he was a kid.

Sandberg appears in funny videos that play between innings at Citizens Bank Park. One of the videos features Sandberg and some Phillies players admitting the strangest things they’ve ever eaten. Sandberg’s admission, per MLB.com Cut4 : he ate Friskies cat food:

“I did that as a youngster, maybe four or five-years-old, maybe six-years-old. I don’t know. I guess I was hungry. I still remember the crunchiness of it was the biggest thing. This wasn’t a one time thing either. This went on for about a year as a little snack.”

That was brave. I thought I was being bold for admitting eating at Arby’s that time, but this is next level stuff.

1. El Bravo - May 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Fancy Feast is better.

2. stackers1 - May 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I’d hate to have to clean his litter.

3. powershowcase - May 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Perez Calcaterra with some of his finest work yet…*blank stare*

• asimonetti88 - May 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM

You must be a hoot at work. Yes, we must discuss ONLY work, all the time! Don’t even ask people how their weekends were. Geez, it’s not like this is a story completely unrelated to baseball about Kanye West and Kim Kardashian or something, it’s an amusing anecdote about a manager and former Hall of Fame player.

• bigmeechy74 - May 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Yes because this is a SERIOUS website with serious news. There is NO ROOM for the occasional silly article. Thanks for taking a stand!!!

4. rollinghighwayblues - May 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I was relieved to learn that it was dry cat food and not the Fancy Feast kind. I was imagining Sandberg scooping out Fancy Feast via Frito chip as one would do with bean dip…and I lost my appetite.

5. chacochicken - May 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Absurd analogy of the day: Sunflower seeds are for birds. Cats are predators; I want to eat what predators eat to keep that killer instinct.

• sportsfan18 - May 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

what gets me is that he said it lasted months to a year as a SNACK…

i mean when I was like 10 yrs old, as a DARE, i nibbled a tiny bit of dog bone, milk bone dog bones….

and I just nibbled a small piece, like the size of a pea, a one time deal…

I didn’t eat those dry dog bones as a snack for a year… actually never again after that dare…

6. [citation needed] fka COPO - May 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

[paraphrasing]
    Do you not what Cat Food tastes like? DO YOU?!?!?
    It tastes exactly as it smells….DELICIOUS!!!
    -Tyrone Biggums

• [citation needed] fka COPO - May 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM

damn autocorrect

Do you know what Cat Food tastes like? DO YOU?!?!?
      It tastes exactly as it smells….DELICIOUS!!!
      -Tyrone Biggums

7. renaado - May 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM

A freakin little kitten !! I would be surprised if that’s a matured cat he had eaten ! I was quite dumbfounded that “that” cat he had eaten, didn’t bit him…

8. moogro - May 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

When Ryne was growing up in Spokane, my grandma was his sunday school teacher. Her meals tasted like cat food also.

9. jimmyt - May 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM

It’s a sports crime that this guy is not managing the Cubs. Flat out crime.

• sportsfan18 - May 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Ryne actually worked at managing in the minors and did well down there too, at all of the levels…

and then he gets to take over a “pro” team that’s more like a minor league team…

the Phils had a great run, 5 yrs or so but they were on fumes when Ryno took over and far too many people use wins and losses to judge whether a person can manage or not.

10. chaseutley - May 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM

This guy is just begging to do a cameo on It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

11. hoopmatch - May 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I sense an endorsement opportunity for Sandberg and Meow Mix.

12. proudlycanadian - May 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Cat food never harmed any of the numerous cats that have lived with me and my brothers.

13. ripwarrior - May 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Wow craig you weren’t lying. This Chris Russo dude is awful

14. schmedley69 - May 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I thought it was strange when he hissed at that umpire after a bad call the other day, but now it makes sense.

15. cohnjusack - May 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM

16. cohnjusack - May 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I dunno, I tried dogfood once because I was curious as to what dogfood tasted like. It sucked, but it wasn’t vomit-inducing gross or anything like…say…eggplant.

I was also 26 at the time.

17. flyinhighwithvick - May 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Slow news day? Or great journalism? I’ll go with slow news day. Thumbs down in 3….2….1

18. rdav29 - May 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Why are you besmirching Arby’s? Delicious roast beef.

19. mikhelb - May 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I knew people who ate “Rosco Dog Food” when they first came to the northwestern region of México, they didnt know such thing as “canned food for dogs” existed, they saw a curious logo, a nice pinkish label and went with it. I remember them telling us (me and my family) that the taste when cooked was not bad.

And another family, also from the south of México, when they first got here, thought that cakes in the north came in a powdered version, so they bought a large box of cake flour and ate it as if it was… i dont f***ing know, i just picture themselves eating spoonfuls of flour and begin to laugh.

There are still lots of differences between how people live in this region, always more in contact with the US way of life than in the southern regions.

20. mikhelb - May 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I also would have to admit i once tried fish food, not the pellets you buy, see, i worked in a bioengineering lab and we would routinely make fish food, varying the amount of proteins, fatty acids and such to find whether an optimal diet would be reccomended for a species of fish we had in captivity (we were working with an endangered species), and one time the food smelt so good we just had to try it… it was AWFUL!!! But it smelled soooo good…

21. courtjester1234 - May 27, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I had a nice Korean lady move into the place next door some 20 years back. She went to the supermarket and bought a can of cat food. She then tells me she didn’t know what was in the can but it wasn’t cat. I explained to her its food for our pet cats. I then said jokingly I thought you ate dog. She says she does but yellow dog tastes better than black dog

22. edelmanfanclub - May 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM

I have too. No comment on why. It’s not really that gross.

Three legends off to Cooperstown