The Reds sign Carlos Marmol to a minor league deal

May 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

carlos marmol getty Getty Images

The Marlins released Carlos Marmol a week or so ago after he posted an 8.10 ERA and walked ten guys in 13 innings while losing three games across 15 appearances. Now someone else has taken a chance on him: the Reds, who Jon Heyman reports have signed Marmol to a minor league deal.

Marmol is just 31, but his downward trajectory has been steep. His control stinks so badly that, in order to be effective, he basically has to throw the ball by everyone and rack up the strikeouts. He still does that well by most guys’ standards, but not at the level he needs to be doing it. His yearly strikeouts per nine innings have dropped from 16.0 to 12.0 to 11.7 to 10.8 to 9.5 since 2010.

No risk here for Cincinnati, but little chance of reward either.

1. lpd1964 - May 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

How about signing someone who can hit ??

2. brucewayne3561 - May 27, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Have u seen some of the crap that goes in Hamburger? LoL

3. metalhead65 - May 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM

another great signing by the great gm jocketty. does he have pictures of the owner? how does this guy still have a job? every year he signs the worst of the worst that major league has to offer thinking they will turn their careers around and they never do. how in the world do you help shore up a disappointing bullpen? by signing another bad pitcher to join the crowd. how can someone not good enough to pitch for the cubs help the reds? how can the reds keep a guy who signs the likes of bernidia and santiago as bench players? every year they have the worst bench because of signings like this and worse. fire jocketty now so he can take his ex-cardinal pipeline somewhere else.

• joshfrancis50 - May 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I know, right? The Reds go 15 years without a postseason appearance, he gets hired and 2 years later the Reds not only make the playoffs, but do it in 3 of 4 years…what a bum.

• contraryguy - May 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

They got to the playoffs on the backs of players who previous Reds GMs drafted.

• metalhead65 - May 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM

the reds became good and made the playoffs thanks to players the previous gm acquired. last time I checked he was not the one who brought in phillips votto bruce Cueto, frazier you know the guys that are the core of the team that made the playoffs. his big move was trading the farm system to get latos and signing everybody that once played for the cardinals, yea that has really worked out well for them hasn’t it?jim edmonds edgar renteria, ludwick scott rolen and shumaker have all just had great careers with the reds right?

• joshfrancis50 - May 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I’d argue that Rolen was a pretty important component in that first run, but you’re right, most of the core of the team were additions from previous regimes. I think sustaining that success, however, has been Jocketty’s management of the team. Making acquisitions like Latos and Choo have helped maintain the Reds relevancy and I don’t think you can understate what bringing in Bryan Price has meant to the team over the last 4 years, which was a Jocketty move.

I also think he’s managed up well, convincing the Castellini’s to open their wallets to retain homegrown talent. Have the Reds overpaid for some of their talent? I’d say yes, but that’s the winner’s curse; in order to “win” the player, you often have to exceed market value. I believe he extended Jay Bruce, however, to a very club friendly contract, though.

He’s not infallible; I just think running him out of town over signing a few non-key players is an overreaction.

• stlouis1baseball - May 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Metal: Personally, I just want to point out Marmol is not a “washed up ex-cardinal.”
      This gives me great joy. Joy that I find from you not being able to beat your broken down drum over and over and over and over.
      I also want to say “thank you” and “good job” for not making your post all about the Cardinals.
      Well done my Friend!

• stlouis1baseball - May 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Well sonofabitch! I read your post again and I see that you DID make a Cardinals reference.
      I take back my previous compliments and encourage you to seek help for your Cardinals infatuation.

• metalhead65 - May 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM

it is not an infatuation. I merely hate the fact that the gm of my team who used to work for the cardinals can’t stop signing their over the hill rjects along with anyone else who has played in the big leagues at one time or another. put yourself in my shoes for a min. and say that your beloved cardinals suddenly decided the best way to win in a few years wouold be to sign brandon phillips to a nice fat retirement contract. or better yet when votto’s contract is up they decide they can use his veteran leadership and what’s left of his bat and give him a nice 2 year 30 million dollar deal. or how about they trade for simon this year and sign him to a fat contract based ob his starts this year? yes I know it will never happen but hopefully you get my point and understand how frustrating it is to see a gm with blind loyalty to his former players that he can’t stop bringing them to the reds. next up in my living hell will be for him to send down the one prospect they have in lutz in favor of bringing up shelly duncon to help the offense. don’t laugh I would not put anything past uncle walt at this point. rolen looked good when they brought him and so he gave him a fat deal and his back when out the min. he signed the contract. ludwick turned a good 3 months in 2010 into a 2 year 16 million dollar deal and what has he done since? missed last year and is hitting a robust .238 right now. shumaker started out good but now is batting .218 for the reds after signing his 2 year retirement deal. these guys were ex-cardinals for a reason but he refuses to see it that way. and the reds have nobody ready in system to help them because he traded away anybody that was good to get latos. another deal that is working out great for the reds. the guy has the stuff to be a cy young winnwer but is a head case who falls apart when he does not get a call from the ump or there is a error behind him. in short the reds need to dump jocketty and bring in somebody who knows what they are doing before the trade deadline and he trades hamilton for carpenter even though he is retired from you guys.

• stlouis1baseball - May 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I do hear what you are saying. Truly, I do hear you.
        For what it’s worth…your Hamilton for Carp scenario made me laugh out loud.

4. nsstlfan - May 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Metalhead65…. I hate to disappoint you but Marmol didn’t come through the pipeline and the last one he signed Schumaker is a great bench player. So sorry you feel like blaming the Cardinals for your teams failures.

• metalhead65 - May 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM

i blame the ex gm of the cardinals who can’t seem to realize the players he keeps signing are not the same players they were in st. louis. shumaker is doing great? so great the reds are his third team in 3 years. between those signings and handing out a fat contract to bailey they have no money for decent bench players or anyone in the system ready to help now.

5. johnnyb1976 - May 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

This is Dusty’s fault!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline