May 28, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Ryan Cook is on the disabled list for the second time this season, but the A’s reliever is making progress in his recovery from a strained forearm and could be close to rejoining the bullpen.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that Cook threw a 22-pitch bullpen session Tuesday and “utilized all of his pitches.” He’ll throw again Thursday, at which point the A’s will either send him out on a minor-league rehab assignment or decide that he’s ready to come off the disabled list without any rehab work.
Here’s the review of his bullpen session from manager Bob Melvin:
He looked like he had never missed a beat. We feel like we dodged a bullet as far as what the injury looked like originally. He was going after every one of his pitches, throwing his slider as hard as he could throw it.
Cook has been one of the best relievers in the league since debuting for the A’s in 2012, throwing 153 innings with a 2.35 ERA and 162 strikeouts. He’s been limited to just 12 innings this season, but does have a sub-3.00 ERA for the third straight year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)