Ben Revere finally hit his first big league home run

May 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Ben Revere Getty Images

After 384 games and 1,466 at-bats, Phillies outfielder Ben Revere finally hit his first major league home run last night. It came in the seventh inning of the Phillies’ 6-2 loss to the Rockies when Revere got a hold of a 1-1 fastball from Boone Logan and turned on it.

As John Finger of CSNPhilly.com points out, Revere had been waiting a long time for that one. Indeed, it was the longest homerless streak to start a career since Frank Tavares of the Pirates went 1,594 at-bats without a homer from 1972-77. It was so long, Revere wasn’t quite sure what to do:

“When I got to second base, I didn’t know what to do,” Revere said. “When I hit it I knew I got it good. When I looked up and saw [rightfielder Michael Cuddyer] look up it kind of hit me a little bit. I was trying not to smile, but some of the guys got on me. It was hard not to smile.”

Watch out Duane Kuiper: you’re about to be passed on the all-time homer list. In maybe three years, if historical rates hold.

1. coryfor3 - May 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Wow- I had no idea.

2. renaado - May 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Certainly a memorable day for him hittin that 1st homerun of his career, truly a sight to see that is.

3. schmedley69 - May 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM

He grounded out with the bases loaded and nobody out earlier in the game when it was scoreless, but then he hits a solo shot when they were down 4 – 1 late in the game. I think it’s safe to say that Ben Revere never hits homers when it counts.

• emdash01 - May 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I don’t think the universe could handle a Ben Revere grand slam, so it’s probably for the best.

• sportsfan18 - May 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM

all of those guys need to remember it’s a game…

would have been EPIC had his first HR been a grand slam…

Would then have LOVED to see his manager bat him CLEAN UP the next day just because… (for that game only)

4. chip56 - May 28, 2014 at 11:03 AM

As a Yankee fan I would argue that a home run hit off of Boone Logan shouldn’t be lauded as much of an achievement

• mazblast - May 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

That’s what I’d expect a Yankee fan to say AFTER a player leaves their team. Typical sour grapes.

5. greymares - May 28, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I hope he gets the ball it may be his 1 and only.

6. baseballlifestyle101 - May 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Reblogged this on Baseball Lifestyle101 and commented:
    Ben Revere

7. chadjones27 - May 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

He had what, something like 1557 plate appearances before that? I kind of wanted to see break the all time record. As a lead-off guy, he’d have gotten it early next season.
    Amazing though, with his speed, he never got an in-the-park home run. I saw the dude hit a line drive into the gap in left-center and get a triple.

8. asimonetti88 - May 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Who is the active leader for most at-bats without a home run now?

• timsizzle83 - May 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Probably JJ Hardy

• asimonetti88 - May 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Hardy has hit 158 HRs in his career… including a 30 HR season… and four 20 HR seasons…

• jerze2387 - May 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I believe it was a joke regarding Hardy’s slump this season….

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM

And he didn’t flip the bat. Just sayin’

10. Gamera the Brave - May 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Craig, I am looking at the Duane Kuiper Bobblehead on my desk right now, and it’s saying, “Grab some pine, meat!”

11. nothanksimdriving123 - May 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Kuiper? Heck, the slugger he’s focused on now is the Dodgers legend he’s just 1 behind: Sandy Koufax.

12. mazblast - May 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Frank Taveras. There’s a name from the past. The Pittsburgh Stealer himself, shortstop for “The Family”, the last Pirates team to play in (and win) the World Series.

One of the most memorable plays I’ve ever seen live was the inside-the-park grand slam (!) he hit at Riverfront in 1978. What a merry-go-round that play was!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate