May 28, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
We talked yesterday about how Clay Buchholz may not make his next start, either because his manager takes the ineffective starter out of the rotation or because he goes on the DL. The DL idea was couched in terms of maybe his shoulder issues from last year causing his mechanics to be loony. But it may be a totally different injury altogether:
Manager John Farrell said Tuesday that the team is concerned about Buchholz’s left knee, which the right-hander landed awkwardly on at some point in Monday’s 8-6 win over the Braves. Buchholz will throw his regularly scheduled bullpen on Wednesday, at which point Boston will make a decision regarding his availability this weekend.
I was watching Buchholz’s start on Monday and, yeah, it’s totally possible that his knee is wonky. He landed funny a few times and, at the time, it seemed like it was just frustrated body mechanics as opposed to an injury, but a tweak is totally possible.
Now, if a knee injury on Monday can explain all of his poor starts before, the Sox would be getting someplace . . .
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)