May 28, 2014, 9:15 AM EST
We talked yesterday about how Clay Buchholz may not make his next start, either because his manager takes the ineffective starter out of the rotation or because he goes on the DL. The DL idea was couched in terms of maybe his shoulder issues from last year causing his mechanics to be loony. But it may be a totally different injury altogether:
Manager John Farrell said Tuesday that the team is concerned about Buchholz’s left knee, which the right-hander landed awkwardly on at some point in Monday’s 8-6 win over the Braves. Buchholz will throw his regularly scheduled bullpen on Wednesday, at which point Boston will make a decision regarding his availability this weekend.
I was watching Buchholz’s start on Monday and, yeah, it’s totally possible that his knee is wonky. He landed funny a few times and, at the time, it seemed like it was just frustrated body mechanics as opposed to an injury, but a tweak is totally possible.
Now, if a knee injury on Monday can explain all of his poor starts before, the Sox would be getting someplace . . .
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (143)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)