May 28, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
We talked yesterday about how Clay Buchholz may not make his next start, either because his manager takes the ineffective starter out of the rotation or because he goes on the DL. The DL idea was couched in terms of maybe his shoulder issues from last year causing his mechanics to be loony. But it may be a totally different injury altogether:
Manager John Farrell said Tuesday that the team is concerned about Buchholz’s left knee, which the right-hander landed awkwardly on at some point in Monday’s 8-6 win over the Braves. Buchholz will throw his regularly scheduled bullpen on Wednesday, at which point Boston will make a decision regarding his availability this weekend.
I was watching Buchholz’s start on Monday and, yeah, it’s totally possible that his knee is wonky. He landed funny a few times and, at the time, it seemed like it was just frustrated body mechanics as opposed to an injury, but a tweak is totally possible.
Now, if a knee injury on Monday can explain all of his poor starts before, the Sox would be getting someplace . . .
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)