May 28, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Going into Tuesday’s games, ejections of players, managers and coaches in the majors had totaled 61, 22% more than the 50 ejections through May of last season, according to Retrosheet.org. And the No. 1 reason was as clear as that call umpires botched to cost your favorite team a win.
It’s arguing balls and strikes. Which you have to figure is being used to some degree as an outlet for managers who can’t really argue other calls anymore. And, of course, they’re not supposed to be arguing balls and strikes either, thus the ejections.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)