May 28, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Going into Tuesday’s games, ejections of players, managers and coaches in the majors had totaled 61, 22% more than the 50 ejections through May of last season, according to Retrosheet.org. And the No. 1 reason was as clear as that call umpires botched to cost your favorite team a win.
It’s arguing balls and strikes. Which you have to figure is being used to some degree as an outlet for managers who can’t really argue other calls anymore. And, of course, they’re not supposed to be arguing balls and strikes either, thus the ejections.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)