May 28, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
The elbow injury epidemic simply can’t be stopped.
CSNWashington.com’s Mark Zuckerman reports that Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez was removed from his start Wednesday night against the Nationals after experiencing stiffness in his pitching elbow. Alvarez had delivered five scoreless innings against the Nats, lowering his season ERA to 2.97.
The talented 24-year-old is likely headed back to Miami to undergo an elbow exam, and we wouldn’t rule out the involvement of Dr. James Andrews.
Andrew published a position paper Wednesday on the increase of major elbow injuries.
Tommy John surgery has already claimed Jose Fernandez, Matt Moore, Kris Medlen, A.J. Griffin, Martin Perez, Patrick Corbin, Brandon Beachy, Ivan Nova, Josh Johnson, Jameson Taillon, Bobby Parnell, Bruce Rondon, Luke Hochevar, David Hernandez, Cory Gearrin, and Jose Cisnero in 2014.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 29
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)