May 28, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Out since late April with a strained oblique muscle, Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis is off the disabled list and back in the lineup for tonight’s game against the White Sox.
Kipnis was hitting .234 with three homers and a .748 OPS before the injury and ended up missing 26 games, during which time the Indians went 13-13 without him while using Mike Aviles as their primary second baseman. Aviles posted a .661 OPS in his absence.
Kipnis went just 1-for-9 on a brief minor-league rehab assignment at Triple-A, but the Indians are convinced he’s fully recovered and tonight he’s batting cleanup.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)