May 28, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Via the official Twitter account of the Boston Red Sox …
The Red Sox today placed RHP Clay Buchholz on the 15-day DL (retroactive to yesterday) due to a hyperextended left knee.
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) May 28, 2014
Buchholz may have something wrong with his left knee, but this move is more performance-related than anything. The right-hander surrendered six earned runs in just three innings Monday afternoon against the Braves and owns a hideous 7.02 ERA through 10 starts this season. He has allowed 75 hits in 50 innings for an opponents’ batting average of .339. The Red Sox are hoping that a bit of rest will do him some good.
Buchholz, 29, posted a 1.74 ERA across 108 1/3 innings last year for the World Series champs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)