May 28, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Via the official Twitter account of the Boston Red Sox …
The Red Sox today placed RHP Clay Buchholz on the 15-day DL (retroactive to yesterday) due to a hyperextended left knee.
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) May 28, 2014
Buchholz may have something wrong with his left knee, but this move is more performance-related than anything. The right-hander surrendered six earned runs in just three innings Monday afternoon against the Braves and owns a hideous 7.02 ERA through 10 starts this season. He has allowed 75 hits in 50 innings for an opponents’ batting average of .339. The Red Sox are hoping that a bit of rest will do him some good.
Buchholz, 29, posted a 1.74 ERA across 108 1/3 innings last year for the World Series champs.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)