May 28, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Via the official Twitter account of the Boston Red Sox …
The Red Sox today placed RHP Clay Buchholz on the 15-day DL (retroactive to yesterday) due to a hyperextended left knee.
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) May 28, 2014
Buchholz may have something wrong with his left knee, but this move is more performance-related than anything. The right-hander surrendered six earned runs in just three innings Monday afternoon against the Braves and owns a hideous 7.02 ERA through 10 starts this season. He has allowed 75 hits in 50 innings for an opponents’ batting average of .339. The Red Sox are hoping that a bit of rest will do him some good.
Buchholz, 29, posted a 1.74 ERA across 108 1/3 innings last year for the World Series champs.
- No, baseball does not to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)