May 28, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Via the official Twitter account of the Boston Red Sox …
The Red Sox today placed RHP Clay Buchholz on the 15-day DL (retroactive to yesterday) due to a hyperextended left knee.
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) May 28, 2014
Buchholz may have something wrong with his left knee, but this move is more performance-related than anything. The right-hander surrendered six earned runs in just three innings Monday afternoon against the Braves and owns a hideous 7.02 ERA through 10 starts this season. He has allowed 75 hits in 50 innings for an opponents’ batting average of .339. The Red Sox are hoping that a bit of rest will do him some good.
Buchholz, 29, posted a 1.74 ERA across 108 1/3 innings last year for the World Series champs.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)