May 28, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Sad news here on Angels reliever Sean Burnett.
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that the left-hander was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn UCL in his pitching elbow and will probably need season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Burnett underwent his first Tommy John surgery in 2004 when he was a member of the Pirates.
The 31-year-old signed a two-year, $8 million free agent contract with the Angels in December 2012 after establishing himself as a reliable left-handed reliever in four productive years out of the Nationals’ bullpen. But he pitched just 9 2/3 innings in his first season with Anaheim and had made only three appearances this year. Burnett owns a 3.53 career major league ERA.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 9
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 14
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)