May 28, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Sad news here on Angels reliever Sean Burnett.
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that the left-hander was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn UCL in his pitching elbow and will probably need season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Burnett underwent his first Tommy John surgery in 2004 when he was a member of the Pirates.
The 31-year-old signed a two-year, $8 million free agent contract with the Angels in December 2012 after establishing himself as a reliable left-handed reliever in four productive years out of the Nationals’ bullpen. But he pitched just 9 2/3 innings in his first season with Anaheim and had made only three appearances this year. Burnett owns a 3.53 career major league ERA.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)