May 28, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Sad news here on Angels reliever Sean Burnett.
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that the left-hander was diagnosed Wednesday with a torn UCL in his pitching elbow and will probably need season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Burnett underwent his first Tommy John surgery in 2004 when he was a member of the Pirates.
The 31-year-old signed a two-year, $8 million free agent contract with the Angels in December 2012 after establishing himself as a reliable left-handed reliever in four productive years out of the Nationals’ bullpen. But he pitched just 9 2/3 innings in his first season with Anaheim and had made only three appearances this year. Burnett owns a 3.53 career major league ERA.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)