May 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Sean Burnett went nearly an entire year between appearances for the Angels thanks to elbow surgery, finally returning to the bullpen last week. And now, after all of three games and two-thirds of an inning, he’s headed back to the disabled list with more elbow problems.
Burnett exited Tuesday’s game with elbow soreness and Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that the left-hander’s “eyes welled up and he had to walk away from the interview” with reporters in the clubhouse afterward.
He’s worked his ass off to get back to this poin. He’s a great guy, man. He wants to go out there and he wants to help his team win. I know he’s very frustrated. Tough time for him right now. Hopefully when they get results back of whatever they’re going to do tomorrow, hopefully it’s not as serious as something torn or something like that. It’s tough, man.
Exactly. Pitchers get hurt. That’s just part of the gig. But when they fight their way back after lengthy stints on the sidelines only to immediately get hurt again … that just doesn’t seem fair.
Burnett has thrown just 10.1 innings as part of a two-year, $8 million deal with the Angels and it’s a shame too, because during the previous four seasons he tossed 234 innings with a combined 2.85 ERA for the Pirates and Nationals.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)