Troy Tulowitzki is the early leader in NL All-Star balloting

May 28, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Yeah, the Rockies fans are probably stuffing the ballot box, but who cares? All-Star balloting is like a presidential election in Parador. If you care too much about how it all goes down you probably need to relax.

I will give a major side-eye to the outfield results so far, though. Ryan Braun third and Carlos Gomez sixth is a special thing. Maybe it means fans care more about perceived showboating than they do PEDs? Maybe it means they just vote for the more popular name when given a choice? I have no idea, but I do like that it flummoxes all of those “the PED guys are gonna play the price!” narratives we’ve seen the past few days.

source:

source:

1. El Bravo - May 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Rox nation showing some force! Good. Those guys deserve it.

• 18thstreet - May 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I’m guessing they had a lot of home games during the period in which the ballots were collected.

• strictlythedanks - May 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I’m pullin for Mourneau, the guys all class. Wish he was still a twin.

2. illuminancer - May 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM

This could be ugly for the NL, since the game isn’t actually at Coors.

3. steelpenbucs87 - May 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Great to see Cutch high on that list, but jeez the NL outfield has some talent. Stanton, Gomez, Puig, Upton, in addition to Cutch, and while it may be a tad unsustainable, Blackmon… lots of people with deserving resumes.

• scatterbrian - May 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Blackmon had a nice three weeks, but they do not put him in the same category as those other players.

4. username5891 - May 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Outfielders 4,5,6 should be the starters in the NL.

• erbaodai - May 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM

At least Puig and Stanton deserved to start over Braun and Blackmon. I’m fine with either McCutchen or Gomez in CF.

• erbaodai - May 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM

To justify my words, Puig and Stanton put up much better numbers than Blackmon (Coors) and Braun (another well known bandbox) in their respective pitcher’s parks.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - May 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Braun (another well known bandbox)

2014:
        H – .275/.320/.333 – .653 OPS
        A – .338/.360/.761 – 1.121 OPS

Career:
        H – .308/.376/.575 – .951 OPS
        A – .316/.370/.553 – .923 OPS

• uwsptke - May 28, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I believe six of Braun’s seven HR’s this season have come in the state of Pennsylvania.

• erbaodai - May 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

fka COPO, This isn’t about a player’s H/R splits, this is about the park itself, and the fact is that Miller’s park is a hitter’s park, proven by its park factor over the years. Whether Braun put up good numbers at home is irrelevant, as the advantage is always there, he could be just a better performer away from the home crowd. Additionally, Braun’s career split did shown that he benefited from his home park, which means this is simply an issue of small sample size.

Anyways, my point stands. Braun’s numbers are inferior to two other NL outfielders this season while playing in a hitter’s park, thus, he should not be starting.

• scatterbrian - May 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I’m sorry, can you please expand on this?

You seem to be suggesting that Braun has an advantage at home despite the fact that he’s shown no discernible advantage at home in terms of home/road splits?

Keep in mind that most players hit a little better at home.

• erbaodai - May 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM

@scatterbrian

If, let’s say a Red Sox righty hit .250/.280/.380 at home and .350/.450/.580 on the road, does that mean the left field is 400 ft? Does that mean the Green Monster does not exist? Does that mean Fenway is not one of the best hitting parks for right-handers?

No. Unless field dimension changes, home-field advantage/disadvantage is always there. Whether a player performs under the advantage/disadvantage is irrelevant.

• scatterbrian - May 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

OK, I think I get what you’re saying, I didn’t understand you were looking specifically at 2014.

Yes, this season, Braun has not hit well at home. But we’re talking 75 plate appearances. I’m of the opinion that Braun’s track record far outweighs the 18 home games he’s played in 2014.

This got me to look deeper at park factors, and I found that Miller Park has been a terrible park to hit in so far this season: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

I’m not sure about specifics, but that’s likely due to weather conditions, which are typically the worst at the beginning of the season.

Again, maybe we shouldn’t make so much out of 75 plate appearances.

• scatterbrian - May 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I’m also finding it interesting that you’re isolating Braun. Why aren’t you pointing out Carlos Gomez’s inferior home numbers this season? Granted, an .879 home OPS and 1.057 road OPS isn’t as dramatic a difference as Braun’s, but it’s still a pretty large gap. And by your logic, he should be better as well.

• erbaodai - May 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Just two months is way too small of a sample size to determine park factor. Plus, I did not isolate Braun in my original statement. I included Charlie Blackmon and said Puig and Stanton should start instead. Gomez, by the way, had put up better offensive numbers than Braun (nearly 50 points higher OBP), is a great baserunner, and is one of the best fielding CF in the league. He, and the rest of the Brewers team, should have better numbers at home.

• scatterbrian - May 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM

“Just two months is way too small of a sample size to determine park factor.”

Exactly! And it’s also way too small of a sample size to determine that Braun isn’t hitting enough at home. Can’t have it both ways.

• scatterbrian - May 28, 2014 at 3:20 PM

There aren’t three clear starters at this point….and I don’t think you can go wrong with choosing the reigning MVP as a starter.

5. packerblitz - May 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Get it Braunie!!! It just shows that fans don’t care THAT much about steroids (or they can’t even name five other outfielders, which means those “haters” are not real baseball fans). But I will say this – Carlos Gomez deserves to be starting instead of Braun if the voting ended right not. If it wasn’t for Tulo’s awesome year so far, you could argue that Gomez deserves a fair shot at the NL MVP.

6. kidpresentable - May 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Time to stuff the ballot box for Braun and the other Biogenesis clients so the heads of the Buster Olneys and Mike Lupicas of this world explode

7. paperlions - May 28, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I really don’t care who is on the team. I just hope the NL wins for home field and that the game is entertaining as it’ll be the only baseball on for 3 or 4 days.

8. mas1012 - May 28, 2014 at 1:57 PM

People are seriously voting for Braun? He hasn’t even been that good not to mention he’s a complete jackass

• kidpresentable - May 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM

.307/.340/.550 and that’s nursing a nerve injury in his thumb and an oblique injury. He’s been pretty good.

• erbaodai - May 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM

@kidpresentable

Giancarlo Stanton: .316/.404/.622
        Yasiel Puig: .346/.445/.615
        Seth Smith: .315/.413/.568
        Carlos Gomez: .317/.387/.587

Stanton, Puig and Smith all play in pitchers’ parks. Gomez is on the same team with Braun. Don’t you think they’re all more deserving to start than Braun?

• uwsptke - May 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

You’re right totally right, mas (can I call you mas?). Baseball games are much more enjoyable when fans vote for likeable players who are pretty terrible at baseball. For instance, there’s this other player who’s slashing .269/.337/.320 and will likely be the starting SS for the AL, but he’s a swell guy so who cares, right? He even gives gift baskets with autographed baseballs to his ladyfriends!

9. thekidatbat - May 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM

BRAUN… YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!
    HE’S A JOKE LIKE GOMEZ.

• uwsptke - May 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM

PLEASE BE SARCASM!

10. 18thstreet - May 28, 2014 at 2:33 PM

My favorite player is being screwed over! The fans are so stupid! Something something!

• [citation needed] fka COPO - May 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Don’t forget to make up numbers to make the player look worse. Like Braun is a league average hitter (really 140 wRC+) or he is a product of home cooking (see splits above).

11. Balladeer - May 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Between Derek Jeter leading in AL SS and Charlie Blackmon leading in NL OF, I’m just at a complete loss. Who are these people that vote? Do they watch baseball?

• undeadjesus - May 28, 2014 at 11:27 PM

The OF results so far are a bit weird but Blackmon should definitely be in the conversation. There are probably more deserving players though.

Jeter being the top AL SS is just stupid. The continued tribute to these Yankee players is disgusting.

• Balladeer - May 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I agree. I guess it just seems we may simply have a hot start on our hands and not necessarily a reflection of true talent a la Bryan Lahair. But it’s possible we’re seeing the real deal

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate