May 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Instead of Ortiz at designated hitter the Red Sox will start A.J. Pierzynski at DH (and in the cleanup spot) against the Braves. Farrell indicated that the team doesn’t think it’s a serious injury for Ortiz, who played two games in the field at first base during interleague matchups earlier this week.
Ortiz played 50 of the Red Sox’s first 52 games, hitting .270 with 12 homers and an .877 OPS.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (196)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)