May 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Instead of Ortiz at designated hitter the Red Sox will start A.J. Pierzynski at DH (and in the cleanup spot) against the Braves. Farrell indicated that the team doesn’t think it’s a serious injury for Ortiz, who played two games in the field at first base during interleague matchups earlier this week.
Ortiz played 50 of the Red Sox’s first 52 games, hitting .270 with 12 homers and an .877 OPS.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 46
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (195)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (98)