May 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Matt Cain was scratched from Monday’s scheduled start due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring, but he’s aiming to return on Saturday against the Cardinals.
Cain, who strained the hamstring last Wednesday, ran and threw off flat ground this afternoon at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. However, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that Giants manager Bruce Bochy didn’t sound 100 percent convinced about his readiness for Saturday. They’ll wait to see how he feels tomorrow before making a final decision on his status.
Cain landed on the disabled list last last month due to a cut on his right index finger, so he has been limited to just three starts in May. The 29-year-old has a 3.66 ERA and 39/17 K/BB ratio in 46 2/3 innings over eight starts this season overall.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)