May 29, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Matt Cain was scratched from Monday’s scheduled start due to lingering discomfort in his right hamstring, but he’s aiming to return on Saturday against the Cardinals.
Cain, who strained the hamstring last Wednesday, ran and threw off flat ground this afternoon at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. However, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that Giants manager Bruce Bochy didn’t sound 100 percent convinced about his readiness for Saturday. They’ll wait to see how he feels tomorrow before making a final decision on his status.
Cain landed on the disabled list last last month due to a cut on his right index finger, so he has been limited to just three starts in May. The 29-year-old has a 3.66 ERA and 39/17 K/BB ratio in 46 2/3 innings over eight starts this season overall.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)