May 29, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Johan Santana can opt out of his minor-league contract with the Orioles on June 1 and he’s clearly not ready to be called up to the majors yet, so the team is hoping that the two-time Cy Young winner is willing to push back to opt-out date to continue rehabbing from multiple shoulder surgeries.
Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that the Orioles have presented Santana with a planned schedule in which he’d throw 85 pitches in an extended spring training game Monday and then begin a minor-league rehab assignment with starts at Triple-A on June 8 and Double-A on June 13.
Then, if those outings go well, he could be called up to join the Orioles’ starting rotation as soon as June 18.
There had been some talk of the Orioles prepping Santana to take on a bullpen role, in part because he might be better suited for that at this point in his career and in part because it would allow him to return to the majors more quickly. However, manager Buck Showalter told Dubroff that Santana is now being viewed as a starter option only and apparently the Orioles have liked what they’ve seen from him enough to think he can contribute pitching every fifth day.
Assuming that he agrees to stay in the minors for a while longer, that is.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 0
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)