May 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Ben Zobrist will come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays on Friday for the start of a three-game series against the Red Sox, returning after missing the past two weeks with a dislocated left thumb.
Zobrist suffered the injury on May 15 while sliding head-first into second base on a steal attempt and always hoped to miss the minimum of 15 days.
Sean Rodriguez and Logan Forsythe split time at second base in Zobrist’s absence and the Rays went 5-8 without him in the lineup. Zobrist hit .260 with three homers and a .716 OPS in 40 games before the injury, drawing more walks (23) than strikeouts (21).
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)