May 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Ben Zobrist will come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays on Friday for the start of a three-game series against the Red Sox, returning after missing the past two weeks with a dislocated left thumb.
Zobrist suffered the injury on May 15 while sliding head-first into second base on a steal attempt and always hoped to miss the minimum of 15 days.
Sean Rodriguez and Logan Forsythe split time at second base in Zobrist’s absence and the Rays went 5-8 without him in the lineup. Zobrist hit .260 with three homers and a .716 OPS in 40 games before the injury, drawing more walks (23) than strikeouts (21).
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)