May 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Ben Zobrist will come off the disabled list and rejoin the Rays on Friday for the start of a three-game series against the Red Sox, returning after missing the past two weeks with a dislocated left thumb.
Zobrist suffered the injury on May 15 while sliding head-first into second base on a steal attempt and always hoped to miss the minimum of 15 days.
Sean Rodriguez and Logan Forsythe split time at second base in Zobrist’s absence and the Rays went 5-8 without him in the lineup. Zobrist hit .260 with three homers and a .716 OPS in 40 games before the injury, drawing more walks (23) than strikeouts (21).
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)