Royals fire hitting coach Pedro Grifol, name Dale Sveum as replacement

May 29, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

Kansas City ranks dead last among AL teams in home runs, slugging percentage, OPS, and runs scored, and today the Royals fired hitting coach Pedro Grifol and replaced him with former Cubs manager Dale Sveum.

Grifol took over as hitting coach in July of last season after George Brett stepped down from the job and ends up lasting less than a year, which is nothing new for the Royals. Sveum is their sixth hitting coach since 2012 and shifts over to the new role from third base coach on manager Ned Yost’s staff.

For whatever it’s worth: Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Grifol was technically reassigned rather than being fired.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 29, 2014 at 3:33 PM

If only someone had told him to tell the team to hit more home runs…

2. sportsdrenched - May 29, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Just a scapegoat for a larger systematic problem.

• rickd24 - Jun 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Except that the Royals have gone 12-4 since replacing the hitting coach, and are scoring more than 5 runs per game since then. Go figure. :)

3. tbird05 - May 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM

“Oh yeah? You can’t fire me because I QUIT!!!”

4. sportsdrenched - May 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I bet Kevin Sietzer has lots of private chuckles about this.

• missthemexpos - May 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Spotted a large Sietzer for Mayor sign at the Blue Jay game the other day.

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I have no idea why the Royals ditched Sietzer a couple of years ago. Sietzer’s current team leads the Majors in home runs, is second in runs scored and is second in OPS.

• yahmule - May 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Because the Royals didn’t have Encarnacion, Bautista and Cabrera, I would imagine.

5. yahmule - May 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM

There’s no way to look cool while saying “Sveum.” Go try it in the mirror.

6. imnotyourbuddyguy - May 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM

7. ksbuff - May 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM

His new position with the club: Catching Instructor.

8. jkcalhoun - May 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Resigned, no, reassigned, yes.

Anyway, it’s 6 hitting coaches since 2012 of one kind and a half a dozen of the other.

• geoknows - May 29, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yep. Aaron needs to read the article. It says Grifol was reassigned, not that he resigned.

9. Tyree Studio - May 29, 2014 at 4:23 PM

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

I’d like to pile onto KC front office for being insane, but then again I’m the one that is still a Royals fan, so what does that make me?

10. thetoolsofignorance - May 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

As an official rooter for underdogs (especially the blue ones) I applaud anything the Royals do to get better. Is Sveum going to get them better? I don’t know but at least its an effort and maybe an effort is what was needed. They seem to use a team hitting philosophy always seemed muddled to me as they want to “use the whole field and work the count” and “Slug and hit more homers more”. These tend to be opposite approaches. Either commit to power or commit to OPS but set the priority by what the player is good at and don’t try to mold a whole team to hit a certain way. The players that can do both hit all over the place and slug are rare and they never tend to be Royals for some reason (Joey Votto comes to mind). When the Royals do have such a person on the roster they seem unable to develop him or hold on to him.

I wish them good luck since I’ll cheer any color blue (Dodger blue first) and royal blue is my wife’s favorite color for me to wear (she thinks Dodger blue only looks good on Vin Scully)

11. knoiro - May 29, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The real problem comes when the Royals do not hit any better, does it now become Sveum’s fault. The management of the Royals is a joke, and it isn’t funny.

12. fm31970 - May 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM

This is merely the first step in a two step process. Step Two? Yost is fired and replaced by, you guessed it, Sveum.

13. campcouch - May 30, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Wow,Sveum. What a journey. From manager to hitting coach.

Three legends off to Cooperstown