May 30, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez had no problems during a 35-pitch bullpen session Thursday, so Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that he’ll throw a simulated game Sunday and then hopefully be cleared for a minor-league rehab assignment next week.
Gonzalez has been on the disabled list since May 18 with shoulder inflammation, but now looks to be on track for a mid-June return to the Nationals’ rotation.
Gonzalez posted a 4.62 ERA in nine starts before being shut down, but his secondary numbers were right in line with his career norms and included 53 strikeouts in 51 innings.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)