May 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The hope was that Giants starter Matt Cain, dealing with discomfort in his right hamstring, would be well enough to start on Saturday against the Cardinals. But as Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports, Cain has been scratched and Yusmeiro Petit will start in his place. Cain will go on the 15-day disabled list.
Schulman adds that there’s “nothing serious” with Cain; the Giants are simply being cautious. Cain hasn’t pitched since leaving after three no-hit innings against the Rockies on May 21.
Over eight starts spanning 46 2/3 innings, Cain has a 3.66 ERA with a 39/17 K/BB ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)