May 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The hope was that Giants starter Matt Cain, dealing with discomfort in his right hamstring, would be well enough to start on Saturday against the Cardinals. But as Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports, Cain has been scratched and Yusmeiro Petit will start in his place. Cain will go on the 15-day disabled list.
Schulman adds that there’s “nothing serious” with Cain; the Giants are simply being cautious. Cain hasn’t pitched since leaving after three no-hit innings against the Rockies on May 21.
Over eight starts spanning 46 2/3 innings, Cain has a 3.66 ERA with a 39/17 K/BB ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)