May 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The hope was that Giants starter Matt Cain, dealing with discomfort in his right hamstring, would be well enough to start on Saturday against the Cardinals. But as Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports, Cain has been scratched and Yusmeiro Petit will start in his place. Cain will go on the 15-day disabled list.
Schulman adds that there’s “nothing serious” with Cain; the Giants are simply being cautious. Cain hasn’t pitched since leaving after three no-hit innings against the Rockies on May 21.
Over eight starts spanning 46 2/3 innings, Cain has a 3.66 ERA with a 39/17 K/BB ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 0
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)