May 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The hope was that Giants starter Matt Cain, dealing with discomfort in his right hamstring, would be well enough to start on Saturday against the Cardinals. But as Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports, Cain has been scratched and Yusmeiro Petit will start in his place. Cain will go on the 15-day disabled list.
Schulman adds that there’s “nothing serious” with Cain; the Giants are simply being cautious. Cain hasn’t pitched since leaving after three no-hit innings against the Rockies on May 21.
Over eight starts spanning 46 2/3 innings, Cain has a 3.66 ERA with a 39/17 K/BB ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)