May 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The hope was that Giants starter Matt Cain, dealing with discomfort in his right hamstring, would be well enough to start on Saturday against the Cardinals. But as Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports, Cain has been scratched and Yusmeiro Petit will start in his place. Cain will go on the 15-day disabled list.
Schulman adds that there’s “nothing serious” with Cain; the Giants are simply being cautious. Cain hasn’t pitched since leaving after three no-hit innings against the Rockies on May 21.
Over eight starts spanning 46 2/3 innings, Cain has a 3.66 ERA with a 39/17 K/BB ratio.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 25
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 57
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)