May 30, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
Last month the Twins placed right-hander Mike Pelfrey on the disabled list with a groin injury, which provided a convenient excuse to remove him from the rotation after going 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA in five starts.
While rehabbing in the minors Pelfrey was shut down with a shoulder injury and now, after being examined by doctors again, he’s been diagnosed with nerve irritation in his elbow.
Pelfrey was so awful in his five starts before going on the disabled list–including more walks (18) than strikeouts (10) in 24 innings–that it’s certainly not surprising to learn he has multiple arm problems. Minnesota made the odd decision to re-sign him to a two-year, $12 million deal this offseason despite Pelfrey being pretty terrible with a 5-13 record and 5.19 ERA last year, and now this is looking like a lost season for the 30-year-old.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (286)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)