May 30, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Last month the Twins placed right-hander Mike Pelfrey on the disabled list with a groin injury, which provided a convenient excuse to remove him from the rotation after going 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA in five starts.
While rehabbing in the minors Pelfrey was shut down with a shoulder injury and now, after being examined by doctors again, he’s been diagnosed with nerve irritation in his elbow.
Pelfrey was so awful in his five starts before going on the disabled list–including more walks (18) than strikeouts (10) in 24 innings–that it’s certainly not surprising to learn he has multiple arm problems. Minnesota made the odd decision to re-sign him to a two-year, $12 million deal this offseason despite Pelfrey being pretty terrible with a 5-13 record and 5.19 ERA last year, and now this is looking like a lost season for the 30-year-old.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)