May 30, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Last month the Twins placed right-hander Mike Pelfrey on the disabled list with a groin injury, which provided a convenient excuse to remove him from the rotation after going 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA in five starts.
While rehabbing in the minors Pelfrey was shut down with a shoulder injury and now, after being examined by doctors again, he’s been diagnosed with nerve irritation in his elbow.
Pelfrey was so awful in his five starts before going on the disabled list–including more walks (18) than strikeouts (10) in 24 innings–that it’s certainly not surprising to learn he has multiple arm problems. Minnesota made the odd decision to re-sign him to a two-year, $12 million deal this offseason despite Pelfrey being pretty terrible with a 5-13 record and 5.19 ERA last year, and now this is looking like a lost season for the 30-year-old.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)