May 30, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
Last month the Twins placed right-hander Mike Pelfrey on the disabled list with a groin injury, which provided a convenient excuse to remove him from the rotation after going 0-3 with a 7.99 ERA in five starts.
While rehabbing in the minors Pelfrey was shut down with a shoulder injury and now, after being examined by doctors again, he’s been diagnosed with nerve irritation in his elbow.
Pelfrey was so awful in his five starts before going on the disabled list–including more walks (18) than strikeouts (10) in 24 innings–that it’s certainly not surprising to learn he has multiple arm problems. Minnesota made the odd decision to re-sign him to a two-year, $12 million deal this offseason despite Pelfrey being pretty terrible with a 5-13 record and 5.19 ERA last year, and now this is looking like a lost season for the 30-year-old.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)