May 30, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Per a report from Rob Rains of StlSportsPage.com, the Cardinals are expected to call up top prospect Oscar Taveras from Triple-A Memphis. Rains cites an unnamed source, and adds that Taveras was seen packing his bags in the Memphis clubhouse. Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes is also reporting the Taveras call-up.
Taveras, 21, was rated the #3 overall prospect entering the season by both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus. The outfielder has a .325/.373/.524 slash line with seven home runs and 40 RBI in the minors thus far.
The Cardinals could use some more pop in the outfield. Collectively, their outfielders have posted a .687 OPS, which ranks 11th out of 15 National League teams.
Update: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that first baseman Matt Adams will go on the disabled list, clearing up a spot on the roster for Taveras.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)