May 30, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Per a report from Rob Rains of StlSportsPage.com, the Cardinals are expected to call up top prospect Oscar Taveras from Triple-A Memphis. Rains cites an unnamed source, and adds that Taveras was seen packing his bags in the Memphis clubhouse. Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes is also reporting the Taveras call-up.
Taveras, 21, was rated the #3 overall prospect entering the season by both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus. The outfielder has a .325/.373/.524 slash line with seven home runs and 40 RBI in the minors thus far.
The Cardinals could use some more pop in the outfield. Collectively, their outfielders have posted a .687 OPS, which ranks 11th out of 15 National League teams.
Update: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that first baseman Matt Adams will go on the disabled list, clearing up a spot on the roster for Taveras.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)