May 30, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Per a report from Rob Rains of StlSportsPage.com, the Cardinals are expected to call up top prospect Oscar Taveras from Triple-A Memphis. Rains cites an unnamed source, and adds that Taveras was seen packing his bags in the Memphis clubhouse. Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes is also reporting the Taveras call-up.
Taveras, 21, was rated the #3 overall prospect entering the season by both Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus. The outfielder has a .325/.373/.524 slash line with seven home runs and 40 RBI in the minors thus far.
The Cardinals could use some more pop in the outfield. Collectively, their outfielders have posted a .687 OPS, which ranks 11th out of 15 National League teams.
Update: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that first baseman Matt Adams will go on the disabled list, clearing up a spot on the roster for Taveras.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)