May 30, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Robinson Cano is out of the Mariners’ lineup tonight for the second straight game with an illness.
Cano played in all of the Mariners’ first 52 games, hitting .327 with two homers and a .790 OPS, but then missed Thursday night against the Angels and is now sitting out against the Tigers too. His absence gives Nick Franklin a chance to play his old position after having the second base job taken away from him when the Mariners signed Cano to a $240 million contract this offseason.
Franklin put up big numbers at Triple-A following his demotion, but has hit just .150 with 18 strikeouts in 15 games for the Mariners while trying to learn to play the outfield on the fly.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)