May 30, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Robinson Cano is out of the Mariners’ lineup tonight for the second straight game with an illness.
Cano played in all of the Mariners’ first 52 games, hitting .327 with two homers and a .790 OPS, but then missed Thursday night against the Angels and is now sitting out against the Tigers too. His absence gives Nick Franklin a chance to play his old position after having the second base job taken away from him when the Mariners signed Cano to a $240 million contract this offseason.
Franklin put up big numbers at Triple-A following his demotion, but has hit just .150 with 18 strikeouts in 15 games for the Mariners while trying to learn to play the outfield on the fly.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)