May 30, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Robinson Cano is out of the Mariners’ lineup tonight for the second straight game with an illness.
Cano played in all of the Mariners’ first 52 games, hitting .327 with two homers and a .790 OPS, but then missed Thursday night against the Angels and is now sitting out against the Tigers too. His absence gives Nick Franklin a chance to play his old position after having the second base job taken away from him when the Mariners signed Cano to a $240 million contract this offseason.
Franklin put up big numbers at Triple-A following his demotion, but has hit just .150 with 18 strikeouts in 15 games for the Mariners while trying to learn to play the outfield on the fly.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)