May 30, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
Robinson Cano is out of the Mariners’ lineup tonight for the second straight game with an illness.
Cano played in all of the Mariners’ first 52 games, hitting .327 with two homers and a .790 OPS, but then missed Thursday night against the Angels and is now sitting out against the Tigers too. His absence gives Nick Franklin a chance to play his old position after having the second base job taken away from him when the Mariners signed Cano to a $240 million contract this offseason.
Franklin put up big numbers at Triple-A following his demotion, but has hit just .150 with 18 strikeouts in 15 games for the Mariners while trying to learn to play the outfield on the fly.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)