May 30, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles makes the case that the Dodgers should move shortstop Hanley Ramirez over to third base. Citing the advanced defensive metrics — though without the necessary warning of a small sample size — Defensive Runs Saved and Ultimate Zone Rating, Saxon points out that Ramirez grades out poorly through the first two months of the season, at -10 and -6.9, respectively.
The Dodgers lost third baseman Juan Uribe to a hamstring injury last week and he may be out a while longer still. Saxon suggests Ramirez could take over for Uribe at third base while Erisbel Arruebarrena (and, later, Alex Guerrero) could grab the everyday shortstop job.
Ramirez, 30, is in the final year of a six-year, $70 million contract extension signed with the Marlins back in May 2008. He can become a free agent after the season. Recent reports indicate that he is seeking an extension in excess of $130 million to stay with the Dodgers. In 219 plate appearances this season, Ramirez is slashing .245/.324/.434 with seven home runs and 26 RBI.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)