Skin cancer is a big danger for ballplayers, coaches and scouts

May 30, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

Bullfrog sunscreen

James Wagner of the Washington Post talks about a really important issue that doesn’t get much mention: baseball and skin cancer. Players, coaches and scoutsĀ are outside in the sun an awful lot and, as such, skin cancer is a major risk. Wagner talks with a number of baseball men who are skin cancer survivors and who talk about the precautions they take.

As Wagner notes, Major League Baseball is pretty proactive about prevention these days. Whenever you walk into a clubhouse one of the first things you notice is that there is sunscreen everywhere. In spring training you can’t walk around in the morning without seeing guys applying and reapplying sunscreen before heading out onto the fields. Baseball also partners with dermatologists for annual skin cancer checks. It’s a good thing.

As a fair complected person with no hair and many family members who have had skin cancer, I try to do my best to always wear a cap when I’m outside. But even I’m sometimes lax on the sunscreen and I know how easy it is to just overlook it. I see people at ballparks — or out running or doing yardwork or whatever — with no shirts on. I feel like, in general, people are just not very good with this. We should get better.

Good for Wagner for reminding us of this and for ballplayers for setting a good example we should all strive to follow.

1. sportsdrenched - May 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I love the smell of sunscreen in the morning. Seriously.

2. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - May 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I stay out of the sun if at all possible. My fair skin, blue eyes, freckles and reddish tint in my beard are all strong indicators that I’m prone to skin cancer. I ain’t rollin’ that dice anymore than I need to.

3. vanmorrissey - May 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Don’t forget the Umps, they’re out there all day also.

4. shanabartels - May 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM

People should not only be mindful of skin cancer, but heat stroke as well. Last July on a very hot and sunny day, I was taking in a day game with my family in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium. We were all sweating buckets and we must have spent a small fortune on bottled water, but we needed to be vigilant about staying hydrated (and I mean just water — I never have beer at a game if it’s over 90 degrees outside).

Meanwhile, a redheaded woman from the next section over was apparently so overcome that she passed out. And I mean like really, really out. We saw her getting carried out by some EMTs, completely limp. She looked sunburned and like she was probably going to need an IV treatment before they could safely let her go on her merry way. So take precautions, folks. Don’t be the redheaded lady who passed out in the bleachers.

• sportsdrenched - May 30, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Good point. Heat related illness is more of an immediate threat that cancer. I tend to push the envelope on that when I’m out with adults.

If I’m with my kids or Cub Scouts, we’re pissing clear every half hour just to be safe.

• maddog11896 - May 31, 2014 at 3:19 AM

Not trying to bash the Yankees, but at Miller Park, any day over 85 degrees they hand out free water

• shanabartels - Jun 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Yankee Stadium does the same. That doesn’t mean everyone is wise enough to partake.

5. kkkershaw22 - May 31, 2014 at 8:44 PM