May 30, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
James Wagner of the Washington Post talks about a really important issue that doesn’t get much mention: baseball and skin cancer. Players, coaches and scouts are outside in the sun an awful lot and, as such, skin cancer is a major risk. Wagner talks with a number of baseball men who are skin cancer survivors and who talk about the precautions they take.
As Wagner notes, Major League Baseball is pretty proactive about prevention these days. Whenever you walk into a clubhouse one of the first things you notice is that there is sunscreen everywhere. In spring training you can’t walk around in the morning without seeing guys applying and reapplying sunscreen before heading out onto the fields. Baseball also partners with dermatologists for annual skin cancer checks. It’s a good thing.
As a fair complected person with no hair and many family members who have had skin cancer, I try to do my best to always wear a cap when I’m outside. But even I’m sometimes lax on the sunscreen and I know how easy it is to just overlook it. I see people at ballparks — or out running or doing yardwork or whatever — with no shirts on. I feel like, in general, people are just not very good with this. We should get better.
Good for Wagner for reminding us of this and for ballplayers for setting a good example we should all strive to follow.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)