May 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Sent to the minors by the Red Sox to get back into game shape after sitting out the first six weeks of the season, Stephen Drew played shortstop for a full game last night at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Mike Scandura of MLB.com reports that Drew was originally slated to play designated hitter, but felt good enough physically to put in the nine innings at shortstop instead. However, he went 0-for-4 at the plate and is 4-for-15 (.267) with seven strikeouts and one walk in five minor-league games overall.
Because the Red Sox had to pass Drew through waivers unclaimed before sending him to the minors in a procedural move he has to remain there for at least 10 days before joining the active roster and it’s possible they’ll decide he needs a bit more time than that based on his performance. June 2 is the earliest he could return to the majors after signing a one-year, $10.1 million deal that equals a prorated share of the qualifying offer he turned down to start the offseason.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)