May 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Sent to the minors by the Red Sox to get back into game shape after sitting out the first six weeks of the season, Stephen Drew played shortstop for a full game last night at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Mike Scandura of MLB.com reports that Drew was originally slated to play designated hitter, but felt good enough physically to put in the nine innings at shortstop instead. However, he went 0-for-4 at the plate and is 4-for-15 (.267) with seven strikeouts and one walk in five minor-league games overall.
Because the Red Sox had to pass Drew through waivers unclaimed before sending him to the minors in a procedural move he has to remain there for at least 10 days before joining the active roster and it’s possible they’ll decide he needs a bit more time than that based on his performance. June 2 is the earliest he could return to the majors after signing a one-year, $10.1 million deal that equals a prorated share of the qualifying offer he turned down to start the offseason.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)