May 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Sent to the minors by the Red Sox to get back into game shape after sitting out the first six weeks of the season, Stephen Drew played shortstop for a full game last night at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Mike Scandura of MLB.com reports that Drew was originally slated to play designated hitter, but felt good enough physically to put in the nine innings at shortstop instead. However, he went 0-for-4 at the plate and is 4-for-15 (.267) with seven strikeouts and one walk in five minor-league games overall.
Because the Red Sox had to pass Drew through waivers unclaimed before sending him to the minors in a procedural move he has to remain there for at least 10 days before joining the active roster and it’s possible they’ll decide he needs a bit more time than that based on his performance. June 2 is the earliest he could return to the majors after signing a one-year, $10.1 million deal that equals a prorated share of the qualifying offer he turned down to start the offseason.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)